Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How big of dozer would I need?

xcavate ยท 2009-03-18 17:49

I have a cut export and fill on another site about 3 miles away. I plan on running 10 trucks a day at 3 loads an hour = 240 loads a day. At the dump site I am building out a steep slope from the bottom. I plan on dumping for a few days then send a dozer there to start shaping. I was thinking either a cat d6 or d8. The hill is a 2:1 slope 30 feet high and we are extending the toe of the slope out 60 feet. I was hoping for a majority of the job the trucks could almost dump in place and the dozer just knocks the tops off the piles until the slope gets to steep for the trucks. Any thoughts. I am moving 82,000 cy. We are using our PC600 at the cut end with a 7cy bucket.

Replies12
  1. #1alco2009-03-18 18:49

    Nothing smaller than a D11, if you can't do it with an 11, it's just not worth doing....seriously though.......... Brian

  2. #2F-1.08-F.G.2009-03-18 18:59

    It all depends on the type of material you're working with and, of course, the desired finished product. Through my experiences with yardage amounts like that, I would say a competent operator on a D-6R, possibly with a PAT blade, but atleast a four-way would be able to produce a graded surface that would be ready for seed and straw in a timely fashion. Just my $0.02 P.S.- I would keep the dozer there from day one so that everything will be put in in lifts and any unsuitable materials can be spread thin about the slope to mix in instead of creating mutiple 'sore' spots across it

  3. #3xcavate2009-03-18 19:08

    We have to keep a person there looking for unexploded ordinace at all times its an old army base. So that person will direct were to dump cause truck drivers are idiots. We had to cut costs to do the job and can only run the d-8 twice a week. Basically 16 days over 82,000cy. We are a union company and operator pay gets expensive.

  4. #4john10662009-03-18 21:58

    If your doing a slope you should get a D6 LGP which would work much better but if all you have is a D8 that can work but is kind of over kill. where is the job

  5. #5T_S_S2009-03-18 22:40

    I would do this with a D5H lgp , D6M lgp , or D6N Lgp size blade (all the same size) no problem. D6R would be prefered but if you are trying to cut cost's ....

  6. #6Vantage_TeS2009-03-19 00:59

    Sounds like a good time to get un-unionized. Lots of people sitting at home willing to work for a few bucks less when times are tough, a job's a job.

  7. #7xcavate2009-03-19 07:22

    The job is out at Fort Devens. We are out of weymouth,ma which is quite a hike.

  8. #8JimBruce422009-03-19 09:38

    I kinda agree wtih john1066 on this, if you are looking to cut costs a bit a D6r (or t) LGP has a blade that is the same width as a D8, and it will be really stable on a 2:1 slope. Granted you can't push as much as a D8 can, but those LGP's (swampers if you will) can really push some dirt, and if you're only runnin it twice a week, that's 600 truck loads (avg.) to push out. Just my two cents.:drinkup

  9. #9cowdogteamroper2009-03-19 11:20

    i done it before with a d7 with a cable balde worked just fine for me

  10. #10special tool2009-03-19 15:32

    How much fuel did you burn?

  11. #11john10662009-03-19 19:33

    also depends on if you are going to push the machine up hill or down hill if your pushing down hill with a D8 you should have a counterweight on the back

  12. #12cowdogteamroper2009-03-23 22:36

    started bout 10 in morn quit around 5-6 pm bout 10-15 gallons