Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How Cold is too Cold

Dickjr. ยท 2018-01-02 13:27

I have a couple decent jobs going this time of the year. Up this morning and checked out it was -1F. I could finish one of my jobs in a 2 days given decent weather , say high 20s or warmer. I sat on it for an hour and decided by the time I got the dump started , the backhoe started etc that it probably wasn't worth it. Last Friday ground was frozen about 6" deep here , and it wasn't all that cold then. Just curious as to most people do in this type weather.

Replies4
  1. #1farmerlund2018-01-02 14:38

    I have two ways I deal with the cold. If you don't really have a deadline or have to get it done right now, I wait a few days. I would think in Kentucky it would pop back up to being 15-20 at night. Makes a huge difference in getting going. If you have to get it done than I just grind it out. We will trade jobs every hour or so if one has open rops. The part I hate most is dirt freezing to everything. 6"-12" frost doesn't bother much unless you are trying to shave off a few inches. When I get to job site I start the equipment needed. Than fill fuel and check over while warming up. If working in the cold for days after days. we grease and fuel at noon, much easier and air temp is usually warmer to. Your 2 day job will take 3 days. LOL. Cold weather is a great time waster. I guess the third way is just wait till spring.

  2. #2Junkyard2018-01-02 15:31

    Working in the cold is more planning than anything. If your fuel isn't treated before it gets stupid cold, it's too late. If batteries aren't within a year old and kept up the first real hard cold snap will kill em dead. Like farmerlund said, planning to fuel, grease etc in the middle of the day is smart. Keeping tracks etc clean and make sure they're clean before you park for the day is important too. Just sit back and look at machinery and imagine what will give you fits if it's frozen to something or frozen by something. This morning was fun for us, more dead batteries than a used car lot, gelled filters, our bulk fuel was pumping at about 2 gallons per hour lol. I'm on the downhill slide now. Everything is running. We weren't totally prepared for this, we haven't had bitter cold like this in years. It sure found a lot of weak batteries!

  3. #3crane operator2018-01-02 18:32

    Ford 7.3 was froze up this morning- I think it was moisture/ice in the fuel line. I cancelled a truss job I was supposed to be on first thing this morning, I had the crane inside, but we're not really set up for full cold weather running, I figured I'd lose air sometime during the day. I got everything else running, and delivered my RT and winch truck this afternoon- for some sewer tanks tomorrow. Had a air system frozen also, but some air line antifreeze got it. I did batteries in two rigs saturday before it got super cold.

  4. #4rdr2018-01-02 19:31

    here in se Kansas 15 is the cut off we get treated fuel starting in October first mouth with ber in it same time air brake antifreeze in srapers off road trucks all air systems been that way for over 30 years my dad came from iowa biggest problem this week has been keeping cows happy