I was wondering how did you guys that run your own company get started? Did you work for an excavating company prior to starting your own? Did any of you start with only a little bit of experience in excavating? Im a first year union apprentice right now and have only worked 5 days so far this year. I'd like to have my own excavating company sometime down the road.
I hate to discourage any entrepreneur. But 5 days isn't gonna cut it. I started the summer after my high school graduation at a community college heavy equipment operators school. Did that for 2 years then went and worked for almost 6 years with a couple of different companies. Many would say even that wasn't enough experience and in some instances I would have to agree with them. I consider myself a very good equipment operator. But there are aspects of this line of work I can't touch because I don't have the right experience to do that part of the job.
I'm a developer but I hold a generel engineering license in ca. I started operating on bobcats and an old ford backhoe when I was a teenager. I bought a kubota mini ex when I was 21 and worked it at my job and on sidejobs till I got the experience to know what I was doing. since then I try to watch how the other guys do things and take a little knowledge from every experience.:drinkup
Im just starting out with a backhoe and a dump truck. So far I dont have much experience with either of the two. Maybe 100 hours on the backhoe, and zero hours driving a dump truck (I drive truck, just not dump truck) I think the difference for me is, i grew up on a farm, and have driven equipment of all sorts, all my life. I figure I will do just fine, because I can work that backhoe like its an extension of my hand allreaddy. After learning some tricks and whatnot, and starting small, it should be easy. Ive gotten told a billion times, and I think its good advice, not to get in over your head either. Start with what you can handle, and slowly move up. This stuff isnt rocket science but you do have to learn it. However, if you can start out at a company, then build your own, i really think you gain alot of valuable experience that way, and you could get bigger alot faster then doing it the way im doing it. Im just prepared to start small
Its best to work for a company for awile before going on your own. Look at it this way, if you hit something while digging for a company, they foot the bill. If you really screwed up, they might fire you. If you hit the same thing digging for yourself, that handy by-the-minute bill now has your address on it.... The other thing is that when your working for yourself in your own company all the decisions are yours to make, right or wrong. Is the trench to grade? Is it time to get a new piece of machinery? How much to bid on a certain job? Who to hire, who to fire.... I think as of late an owner operator has to be as much of a businessman as he is an operator, maybe more so to the busines side.
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to work for a company for 5-10 years before going out on my own. Im having a hard time getting a job right now though. Work is slow everywhere.
It is in my blood. My grandfather incorporated a business back in 1969. My father bought that business in 1984. I worked for my father as foreman/laborer/operator/mechanic/truckdriver/superintendent untill spring of 06 then we butted heads. I left went to work for another local company as a foreman/operator. They stuck me driving truck. Then during the mandatory layoff between Christmas and New Year's I paid my money to the State of Indiana and formed my corporation. I made some business cards, started handing them out then about the first of March of 07 they fired me so it was now or never. But when did I start learning about pipework. I remember when I was 5 or maybe 6 I was sitting on the dirt piles with a Tonka Hardhat on watching dad throw dirt and do a horizontal auger bore under a state highway. I'm now 31 and very glad I took the leap and started my own business.
Stick with the union ,hopefully it will get you your training and you might move up the ladder. I have owned several trucks and a couple pieces of equipment in the past,it was an experience. One I learned the hard way. Owning your own equipment/business is a lot of dedication and hard work. One mistake and you can pay dearly. Fuel,insurance,wages, and equipment payments/maintenance comes before your salary. I'm not trying to discourage you either,but try and look at the whole picture before jumping in.
One thing briefly touched on is finance. Don't leverage your way into your own company. Get the best you can afford, but don't be a slave to the bank or you'll be very stressed. I heard a driver once say, "It may be ugly, but it's paid for!"
Lot's of good advise here. I myself started in landscaping working for my father. We butted heads and I went off on my own bought some equipment and trucks (the best I could afford, but nothing fancy) I am glad I did it but it is a lot of hard work. The hardest part is the inconsistency, one day you're rich then something breaks and you're poor again.
That's rough man, sorry to hear about it. Things aren't great out here either, I'm on my second week with my second dispatch. First job lasted 2 days, they got hung up with some permitting or something and shut the job down for a couple weeks. I'm enjoying myself with the crew I'm on, hopefully it lasts a good portion of the winter.