Hi all, this is my first post on this site but I have been looking around on here quite a while. I have seen some really stuff. Anyway onto topic, I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for about 5 years now but always been in a shop environment but am now taking a job as a road mechanic so im just looking for some ideas, pictures, and advice on how I should set up my service truck and how to organize everything. Ill be driving a 05 F-550 with service body and crane. Thanks, Tommy
The 550 is not near BIG enough!!! lol my first thought is does it have a cover over the bed? if not at least get a tarp made to cover it, very handy esp in the snow any other questions just ask
Welcome to HEF tekemp. :drinkup
The 550 is more than enough. Organiser boxes....cant emphasize this enough. buy more than you think you need. If youre new to the service truck game it will take at least a few years to figure out your set up. look at the small parts bins at the shop and take a few of each. As for tools, only put on the truck those tools that you will not cry if you lose them or have to cut them up to make them work. You dont want to be the guy paying to replace a snap off 1 3/8 wrench that you had to cut and bend so you could replace a hose. hoses...2 feet of all fuel and water line sizes and nipples to join them...hero supplies build a supply of all those wire ends that you will need to replace and buy the tools fro weatherpack, deutsch, amp....etc etc. ...I could go forever here....
Well they will be ordering me full size Pete sometime this winter because the 550 has over 300k on it and i won'tbe able carry enough supplies with me haha I don't believe the back is covered though. Thanks for the welcome and the advice let's keep it coming lol
Hello there, so tell us how are you making out working from the truck?
Im loving being on the road, I find now that if im slow and working around the shop it drives me nuts! I like my truck, wish it was bigger because its already full but I like the fact that its small enough to fit in some tight spots and being 4x4 I cant believe I have not gotten stuck yet in some of the mud I have got through. But here are some pictures!
Like