Was looking into getting my hoisting license in RI for a forklift and this is one of the side notes: Must submit a copy of Federal OSHA Forklift certification in accordance with Powered Industrial Trucks Regulation (29CFR 1910.178) Where and how would I go about doing this? Want to have all the right info and do this the right way. Can't afford to screw something up and have to pay again or something get messed up. I should have help on getting materials for the RI license, but this part of it I have no clue.
Bump up. Because I too am curious. Anyone have any insight?
You should either check with your employer if they do classes,or contact your state OSHA offices for information on where you can get training.
Any industry in your area that uses forklifts must have certified operators and therefore will hold classes either at their plant or schedule them with a training agency. There is usually a minimum participation requirement in these classes so most likely any plant manager in your area would be glad for you to accompany their people to a class. Cost can range from $40.00 to @100.00. The certification is required be OSHA
If your a Union member- your local train center. Your local community college. Your employer should have a in house training available. I have never paid for any OSHA related training - in my life! Including HAZmat training!
I got mine from the local sunbelt rentals store, free of charge. same with the Areial work platform cert.
Their is a course called train the trainer. You can google "forklift train the trainer course" and it will give you several companies that claim to meet osha standards for fork lift operator training that will train a duly elected person of your choice to be able to train the actual operator.
Major industrial operations require their forklift operators, or powered industrial lift truck operators to be certified by OSHA. This certification insures that a forklift operator can perform his job more safely and efficiently. Here are the different ways to get OSHA Forklift certification: 1. Determine whether you work for a company that can provide an instructor to offer an OSHA-compliant course. 2. If decided to certify the operators yourself, then you can complete an authorized OSHA Outreach Training Program Course that will train you to certify forklift operators. *The course would be one week and training will be given only by the OSHA Training Institute. Once you’re authorized you can issue certification cards. *Authorization is valid for up to 2-4 years. If you want to renew your authorization, you’ll need to take an update course. 3. Arrange classroom sessions for your forklift operators that focus on health and safety concerns along with OSHA’s regulations. 4. Evaluate the operators by conducting a OSHA forklift certification exam. 5. Execute hands-on training for the forklift operators which will include proper usage of forklift’s controls as well as practical knowledge of safety regulations. I found a lot of these at http://store.intellaliftparts.spam . Seems to be a decent amount of good information there. Hope that helps everyone!
I checked the website, and maybe I'm a dummy and just missed it, but I didn't see anything that relates to OHSA forklift certification. If you're posting a back door spam link, my finger is itching for the ban button.
Ya shoulda trusted your instincts, Willie.
Sometimes you're the windshield...sometimes you're the bug.
If you have a Cintas branch near you, they do forklift training. http://www.cintas.com/compliance-training/ NOT a spam link.:tong
Sometimes we forget that only employees are subject to these regulations. I frequently use forklifts that are normally run by employees. I have many certs but because I am not a employee or a employer I am not required to have certs that a employee is required to have.
Local rental and equipment sales place came to our shop to put on a training. Might be places like that you might look into.
Well I finally got a chance to call the RI Dept. of Labor and Training to speak to someone and he told me it was OSHA 29 CFR 19.10.178 which is the regulation #. This is on the card that I got from the rental guy who came to our shop to give a course on this. When in fact he told me he had no clue what I was talking about when I asked if class was the OSHA certification. So that put me behind a while trying to find out things, well sort of not trying because I have been working in MA so I wasn't too worried about it. Now considering license for RI to see if maybe once I get it I can get them to bump me up in pay, plus it might mean for closer to home work for me.