My back bucket is attached to the tractor with a pin that has a handle, and a pin that hooks under a U-shaped fitting on the arm. My question is how do I position the bucket to pull the handle pin, and then how do I position the bucket to unhook it? I don't want to pull the pin, and have hundreds of pounds of bucket swing maniacally, or fall off onto my foot or leg. What position does the bucket want to sit on the ground so that it is stable, and does not topple or move? Thanks. Glad the forum is back.
What the..!? That's the biggest dog I've ever seen!
It's a Morgan, Tennessee Walker cross dog. She's elderly, and I give her a good retirement.
Have it off the ground and close to flat maybe curled slightly should be no problem then you uncurl off the bucket
Something an old rigging foreman told me that has stuck... Handling anything that's big, heavy, or expensive always minimize the distance of the drop. IE don't hold the bucket more than 1/2 inch from the ground. If one is lifting such an item, lift with ample cribbing to catch it. Otherwise stay back if it were to drop.
What does ample cribbing mean?
Blocking. Just set it down like you have it, might have to experiment to have the weight off the pin you pull out, then curl out of the u. Even off the ground, it will swing towards the machine. Can't move if you have it on the ground.
I curl the bucket up a bit at a time and rock it with pressure from my foot till you can see the action in the pin. Once you get the curl right so it is balanced, the pin will slide out easily and safely. No muss no fuss. Lay the bucket on the ground with a curl out motion. It will let go at the front pin in the hook. The only variable then is how much dirt/clay is stuck in the bucket to change the balance, next time you mess with it.
Cribbing/blocking = some wood 4x4s (for example) on the ground to catch the thing or set it down on.