Hi guys I'm trying to rebuild my 580SE swing cylinder but I cant get the large nut loose on the piston? I tried repinning it to the hoe and using a 4' cheater bar but it still wont move? any ideas or maybe I'm missing something?
try an 8 ft bar. those nuts are tight. i had to use the backhoe bucket on the end of the 8ft pipe to break it loose. always support rod near the nut with wood
Its funny you ask this, My dad asked me the otherday if we should get the spanners for the cylinders on my 580k... i dont know where to get em, but I told him I would ask here. Is there a special spanner that can be purchased for disasembly of a cyl?
Thanks hammer, so there are no lock screws or reverse threads?
I am not sure on your particular cylinder, but most of the nuts are very tight. Spec on small cylinders like that is probably over 1000 ft/lb, and larger cylinders can be over 4000 A torque multiplier would be appropriate. Sometimes you can rent them. You may get by with a much longer cheater pipe. I know a mechanic who cuts a wrench out of 3/4 or 1" plate, makes it a couple of feet long, with an eye in the end, and pulls on it with the crane on his truck. Whatever you do, do not put yourself between the work and anything hard. Stay well clear in case it jumps when it breaks loose.
Anything less than 1" drive socket - your only wasting your time. Long pipe & probably need oxy to soften the loctite which is probably on it as well!