Hey guys I’m trying to get my new backhoe started, previous owner said it ran good until injectors were replaced so I’m assuming it wasn’t primed properly. Where is the bleed screw located and which lines do I unscrew on the injector? Can someone please give instructions for priming. I’m going to use starting fluid I hope thats ok. Any other advice for getting it fired up? Here is a picture of injector. Thanks for any help
Don't use starting fluid. Did you buy the machine without seeing it run or did it run and now won't start? Need some more specific details on exactly what happened. Might not be related to fuel at all. Looks like injection pump has been replaced/repaired. Could be a shut off solenoid, IP not timed properly, etc. I highly doubt it needs starting fluid unless there is a major problem. Someone should be along shortly who is familiar with your machine. Would be best to get the owners/operators manual for your machine and it should tell you how to prime it along with other maintainence requirements.
The machine ran perfect until he replaced injection pump and it wouldn’t start back up. He did not prime the fuel system so more than likely that is my problem. I’m going to loosen bleed bolt next to fuel filter and pump the prime lever. Next I will loosen supply line on injection pump and pump the lever then tighten back up and pump lever a few more times. If that doesn’t work I will crank engine with bleeders loose. Am I missing anything? Should I loosen all lines on injection pump? Thanks welder Dave for the response
Loosen the lines going to the injectors and crank it over till you get fuel if you still have problems. Is it smoking at all? Also check the air filter isn't plugged.
You might be able to push the fuel all the way to each injector with the priming lever, if the prev owner tried cranking it for a long run, might have tweaked the starter so make sure that sounds okay too.
Your right I think he held the starter to long and there is a crack shown in picture but the starter is working good. I will replace soon but I don’t think this crack is keeping it from starting. I believe my problem is injection pump timing. The guy that put it on was inexperienced and probally didn’t set timing. Tomorrow I will fully prime fuel system and if that doesn’t get it started. I’m 99 percent sure I have a ip timing issue. I will start another post on that topic
You really need to make absolutely certain the timing is correct before you have more problems to deal with. NO starting fluid in your situation ! I suggest that you read and understand the procedure until you know exactly what to do in the proper sequence. Only the first section of the manual pertains to your situation. Here → http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMCD16564_19/CD03523,000039A_19_20130604.html
The machine ran perfect until he replaced injection pump and it wouldn’t start after replacement ( how do you know this?) I.m betting seller told you this,,you don't anything about this,, trying to get answers before, before buying best answers come from good and honest questions
Justin; I looked closely at the power feed wire to the shut off solenoid. Maybe you should replace the connector on the pump and clean up the terminal. Also replace that crimped splice with a good soldered joint. The same for the two wire splice up closer to the pump. Who knows what is under that tape. You are getting power to the solenoid aren't you ?
Why two wires leading to up the solenoid then spliced together ? ? A pretty rough looking pump for just being replaced and never ran.
Something I learned … All Rooser master/stanadyne pumps are NOT alike internally. Research the replacement pump serial numbers to make sure it will operate the engine (serial numbers) correctly.
If the guy that installed injection pump had the skill to time it then he would have the skill to bleed fuel. So that tells me this probally isn’t a priming issue. I’m hoping it’s just a timing issue. It cranks and turns over fine but will not start. The guy I got it from is a friend and I don’t think he would lie to me. He has health and financial problems and is unable to work on it so he told me I could have it if I can repair it and give him lifetime rights(he is 75 in bad health so this was a good deal for both of us). I will not do any more work until my lawyer finishes writing my contract that will legally make it mine. Thanks for the help guys
From the looks of the machine, it was broken down and now you're trying to get it going again. What's the whole story ? You might post the serial numbers of the pump, backhoe, and engine. There's are several regular posters here that could help with specific information.
I wondered about the wire splice also Highway. Maybe the original one in the sleeve had a break in it somewhere and the other is a jumper. Be worth tracing them to see what happened. The ground strap on the top of the pump needs cleaming to I think. That solenoid may not even be getting power, causing the no start problem. I noticed the paint job on the pump and the red stuff on all of the bolts and screws. Scary ! I also wonder if the IP has been sitting a long time with no fuel in it.
The pump is supposed to be keyed, so should go on 1 way.. I'd pull off the front cover & remove the drive nut to see if the cut in the gear, aligns w/ the key.. Next, use a meter or test lite to see if your getting power to the solenoid.. OR if your going to clean up the surface of the wire.. just turn the key ON & touch the stud for the solenoid & LISTEN for the "click".. Then, loosen the line going into the back of the pump & pump the hand primer on the supply pump until fuel squirts out & NO AIR & tighten.. Next loosen the steel lines coming out of the back of the pump, just to speed up the process.. & try to start it & watch for fuel to come out at the loosened lines at the pump.. Once the fuel is THERE.. tighten the lines & loosen them AT THE INJECTORS & turn the engine over till u get fuel THERE & tighten.. It should start now.. Good luck. 1 more thing I would do is>> DISCONNECT the return line from the top of the pump & ALL THE FITTINGS, all the way down to the cover.. NOW see if it pumps fuel..