On the right side rear of the cab there is a round cover that accesses the hydraulic filter. There is a bolt holding it on but when I loosen it you can feel a spring or something holding the bolt on and it wont back out all the way so I can't get the cover off to replace the filters. Anyone know what the trick is to getting this bolt out?
The bolt won't come out on its own , cover needs to come off at the same time. Bob
Is there some sort of a spring holding it back? It doesn't just pull off easily, there seems to be something holding it on. I don't wont to break anything but maybe I just need to put a little muscle behind it.
Wrong filter! Bob
The round cover and filter all come out at once. Pull harder or pry gently on cover. Bob
This is why giving a full serial number for a machine when asking questions is so important! Not knowing the serial number I went to the first guess I made and it shows that same 9J1212 filter assembly! Okay if we are suppose to guess what this machine is how about this totally different filter arrangement? Sorry if I am sounding a bit grumpy here but people need to understand that giving a "year" of a machine is almost totally worthless. Cat does not go by model years like say Ford or GMC. Two 910's built the same week could have major differences due to what the original owner had in mind for the machine. I've seen machines where the same serial number range could have totally different brake systems, one air over hydraulic and the other one straight hydraulic brakes using an accumulator. Back on topic, if the filter looks like the one in my picture to be honest I have never seen one of that exact design. But I can see where it might be a little tough to get off if not changed recently. Might need to spray around the edge of part #24 and gently tap a bit to free it up. If it was mine I would be looking in to maybe drilling and taping a couple hole for a slide hammer for the next time or some other idea as I saw fit once it was off.
Point well taken, serial number 41Y02427, thanks for the help.
Having actually worked on Cat machines makes a big difference ,then you would know most of that era has about the same style hydraulic filters. Also Cat calls engine oil filters just oil filters and hydraulic filters ,transmission filters ,steering filters etc. by their names. Bob
Well this was the page I saw for the first guess at a serial number prefix: And it does show the 9J1212 filter as being part of the 6S3331 Hydraulic Filter Group. Then when using the correct Serial Number it does come up with this arrangement: