Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I remove shaft from idler

StxRancher ยท 2016-07-09 22:02

On my JD 450c?

Replies11
  1. #1lantraxco2016-07-09 23:00

    If you clean that area up there with a wire brush or whatever, you will find bolt heads, you can kinda see them there. Remove the bolts, the the seal holder ring, thrust plate, and gasket. Push shaft from opposite side, it will push the bushing out. Repeat on other side, again use shaft to push bushing out. Looks like she still had lube in there!

  2. #2StxRancher2016-07-09 23:26

    ok great, thx for the help. i will do it tomorrow

  3. #3StxRancher2016-07-10 19:55

    No screws on here..I don't think this is the original jd part..any ideas?

  4. #4Scrub Puller2016-07-10 20:04

    Yair . . . StxRancher They look like some form of part worn away socket recess capscrews . . . might need a nut welded to them to get them out. Cheers.

  5. #5RBMcCloskey2016-07-10 20:21

    A little more information will be helpful. Serial number is the most important.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-07-11 02:36

    As Scrub said, those were Allen head bolts. Some heat and visegrips should take them out, or as suggested find a nut that just fits over them and weld up the center. This ain't makin' hamburgers, it's just undercarriage.

  7. #7Nige2016-07-11 03:10

    The fact that those allen bolt heads are rounded off sounds alarm bells to me about the condition of the shaft and bushing even before you get the assembly disassembled .......

  8. #8lantraxco2016-07-11 13:21

    Nige, I don't think that's the problem here. The running clearance between that steel seal holder and the outer bracket is fairly tight so I would expect to see the lip trashed if things were loose either axially or radially. I'm guessing something got jammed in there and ground things down, fence wire is always a favorite. I could be wrong though, it's happened before.

  9. #9StxRancher2016-07-11 15:09

    The shaft and bushing seem pretty solid, it had a bunch of really hard almost cement like crud inside the hub that wore it down

  10. #10Nige2016-07-11 15:34

    So if I understand you correctly the inside of the idler where the bush fits is worn down, correct..? I wouldn't expect the shaft or bush to wear so long as the idler still had some traces of lubricant in it.

  11. #11lantraxco2016-07-11 16:50

    I think he's talking about the side brackets, there's a big lip to keep rocks and stuff out, the worn parts you're seeing in the pictures go inside a recess: