Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how do i replace upper door glass? cat 316

RichC · 2020-06-02 17:33

i was gonna borrow one from another machine but i cant get the damn thing out, which makes me wonder how i'm gonna get the new one in when it gets here

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2020-06-02 17:48

    Start with a Serial Number, then at least we know what we're looking at. More than 10 variants of 316, need to get the right one.

  2. #2RichC2020-06-02 18:21

    CAT0316ETDZW02461

  3. #3RichC2020-06-04 20:49

    Nothing? Swapped out the whole door for now but still gotta put new glass in at some point

  4. #4Tugger22020-06-04 22:50

    I broke the window on my 303 Cat once ,looked at for 6 months thinking what an ugly job it was . Finally i ordered new glass from Finning took it to my local Glass guy and he painlessly installed it Right for around 100.00$ Glass is like tires. Tiremen do tires and Glaziers do glass . We run equipment.

  5. #5heymccall2020-06-05 00:09

    IIRC... Remove the bottom felt in the tracks. Using hook and screwdriver, remove the plastic, inverted u-channel. Now glass can drop down, and tilt out at the top.

  6. #6heymccall2020-06-05 00:19

    Do you have the glass? $162 @ cat dealer $125 here

  7. #7Welder Dave2020-06-05 03:31

    Just get a glass shop to install it and save yourself the hassle.

  8. #8Mbar2020-06-05 06:30

    If it’s like a k dozer there will be two little guides that push and and let the track come out at heymccall said

  9. #9Nige2020-06-05 10:04
  10. #10heymccall2020-06-05 10:24

    I didn't post the parts image because it really doesn't help, as it doesn't show the plastic spacer strip. I had to replace one on a 324DL, and even my dealer found nothing. I do know, for certain, that you do NOT remove the frame from the door.

  11. #11RichC2020-06-05 11:22

    The glass is ordered. Going to a glass shop is not feasible. There's no plastic track it's just a thin rubber layer in a steel track which appears to be all 1 piece. I wish I could get something out of that image Nige but I can't pick out anything useful unfortunately.

  12. #12RichC2020-06-05 11:31

    I notice that this frame around the glass is glued in, is it possible you need to cut that out? Seems pretty stupid but I can't see any other clues

  13. #13heymccall2020-06-05 11:47

    I'm telling you that the bottom felt comes out, then an inverted U channel is in there. See them slots in the felt. They are duplicated in the inverted, removable, channel. If they're not at the bottom, they're on the top.

  14. #14heymccall2020-06-05 11:53

    I stand corrected...the 324D I did isn't in this serial number list

  15. #15RichC2020-06-05 11:59

    So you gotta replace the whole frame then? Well hopefully that's what theyre sending me

  16. #16AaronO2024-07-05 09:04

    How is the window frame held into the door? What is the best way to remove it?