I'm trying to replace some dust seals on my bucket linkage pin and I just mangled the crap out of one trying to get it in. I can work around and get 80% of it engaged in the bore but the last little bit hangs over and wont go in. Is there a trick to this?
If your just using a hammer to go around the edges of them the metal is just too soft, I never had any luck... at least on bobcat ex's it's far easier to make a tool for it and they pop right in.
Use a seal driving tool and make sure the seat of it is deep enough, they sometimes wear the face of the boar surface down and it has to be built back up. Good luck
If you have a plate large enough it works great for good even pressure/hit on seal and if you need to drive down in bore a little sockets work ok, Mike
Often the bore will get a lip bent over and this is what makes the new seals go in hard. Use a small grinder like a Dermel or small air powered grinder to put a small chamfer on the bore. Making the tool will help too.
Good point :drinkup
Put one half in and hit the other end that's out on a 45 degree angle. Derek.
Good point kshansen
Got it. I used 2 bar clamps to press it in. When the metal lip of the seal hit the edge of the bore I was able to then gently tap the lip in with a flat screwdriver and hammer to engage the bore. The camps kept gentle inward pressure so it couldn't pop out. 2 little taps on the lip and it went right in. I then used the clamps to press it in taking care to put the pressure on the bore face rather than the seal directly so as not to bend it like the hammer did the first time. The bar clamps worked amazingly well.