CTP, ACTP, IPD, Interstate McBee, Maxiforce, Mahle, ITR, Regal, Esco, Patriot engineering, KMP Brand, Blumaq... How do you choose?! What do you know about these Brands? Please share.
Hello, I'm not really sure how to help you, but I can say I've used almost all of these brands and have been the most impressed with ipd to put it simple they are excellent at backing their products and just the overall appearance of their products shows high quality....but I'm probably bias as I sell their products.....but that is why I chose their products,, I hope this helps. Mike
In my earlier years I would try lots of different brands but generally got burned over time. I decided the internal parts were too much work to pull out a failure and start over. None of those guys pay for down time and their warranty policies are written on toilet paper. What they count on is that you get your motor back together and it runs long enough that you lose track of how much time you have run. So here is a test for you. Let's say your after market parts are 20% less than the manufacturer. Ask yourself if those parts will operate only 20% less than the OEM. So if your original engine with good maintenance ran 10,000 hours before rebuild, will the aftermarket parts run 8,000 hours. If not, then they are not the deal the salesman is trying to push.
Oem under no circumstances will cover down time, as far as the rest of your comment I'm here to debate or argue, that's not why I joined this forum, thanks
Well, I offered my customer IPD parts and it turns out that is almost 50% cheaper then OEM. People owning machines are furious on the OEM distributors. I have a good market here only if I find trustworthy parts. The better option should be replacement parts from brands that actually manufacture something. That should guarantee some technical skills and knowledge. Do you know which ones of these brands do some manufacturing? Also, OEM don't manufacture all the parts. Many of them are outsourced. So why should those be better than when a third party makes them?
Well your absolutely correct a large portion of oem is outsourced and large mark ups, I can't speak for most of the venders on your list but I do know IPD manufacturers most of their products I'm sure there's some outsourced but as far as pistons, liners,etc. They are the manufacturer. They do have a good warranty as well, like anyone there is a process but if there is a problem with their product they stand behind it. I have had excellent luck, the only claim I have had is a fuel injector on cat engine, the injector stuck and spent a push rod. The injector was around 7 months old, this was a new part not reman and they have a 1 year warranty, they covered injector, push rod, oil, filter and some labor, they go by a flat rate book at 50.00 hr it still cost me some extra time as well as my customer but it's not a prefect world I thought they did it pretty darn fair, you wouldn't get that from the leading equipment manufacturer, here it's 6 months rather reman or new and nothing else period, no cost.......
OK, so now we heard something about IPD... What about CTP? Mahle/Clevite? Others? I wish that more people get involved in this conversation. Is any body out there who could share some thoughts on engine replacement parts?
We mostly use Federal Mogul for parts & engine kits. Had pretty good luck with them over the years. http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com...x?categoryid=2&subcategoryid=45&productid=491 Locations www.federalmogul.com/en-US/Contact/Pages/Locations.aspx
have used federal mogal bearings.no problem.My fitter likes the IPD gear I bought him as he is quiet fussy about motor lumps. Have just fitted a Canadian Rotomaster turbo for an 8K.It cost £700.Cat wanted over £2000.I was offered turbo's from China and Mexico at the £2-300 mark but went for the Canadian one as a middle of the road option.It was very well packaged and shipped with presise instructions.We'll see how it goes.....
I have used CTP and IPD. IPD was ok, but CTP quality and product range was more impressive. In fact the only time we use OEM now is when CTP doesn't stock, which is very rare. There are a few sites that sell CTP, this one is offering free shipping in the US... www.propelparts.us
Hello, thanks for your post. What was more impressive with CTP?
Hello, and what do you say about Interstate-McBee? How thier parts perform? Did somebody had warranty issues?
I put together a kta19 last fall with mcbee parts but mostly cummins gaskets. The mcbee dealer here claims cummins gaskets r better. I also replaced a mcbee head gasket in a 3406 a few weeks ago with a cat gasket. Only had a few hundred hours on it. Just what I've seen lately. I would be interested to hear of some better aftermarket stuff, better than go all over for each oem...
That member only posted twice and both were ads for his site, SO take that with a grain of salt. (Don't believe him)
Anything else on McBee parts?
I don't want to hijack the topic but, Genuine pays: I've changed an awful lot of parts, genuine, aftermarket, copy, the lot. Had good results with most of it. And I won't lie, pattern stuff has come a long way. But it still ain't perfect. I want to deliver a job of fit and forget. Genuine is the only way for me, and that comes at a price. Sorry to deviate the subject.
No, no, mate, this fits the subject. You said that you had good results so why genuine? What was wrong with the parts? Which ones did you use? I've talked to a lot of people and I still can't underline why people are sceptical about replacement parts. Do the replacement parts wear out more quickly, they don't fit, wrong material or little bit of everthing?
As an example, a genuine panel or piece of trim would be a perfect match for the original. Quite often I find that pattern parts don't quite fit. Maybe just the holes don't line up, or its an fraction too big or small. admittedly, in our world the cosmetics are less relevant but I'm just making an example. Another one i just thought of: genuine bushes last double the life of aftermaket copies. and thats testing various manufacturers. Crusher jaws: same. I can't comment on engine components, internals lifespan. Ask your wife, would she want a fake louis vuitton handbag or the real deal. lets face it, neither you nor i will ever notice the difference. she will. so will our pockets.
You are right, but I would like to hear about engine replacement parts. There's no room for misalignment there.
Hey Hi, I was also confuse when I was going to choose parts. But My friend suggest some guideline about parts like its warranty, usable & working condition.
Hello, thanks for your post. Yes, there are some things that they can offer, but do they back that up? For example, some customers ask me do I have an certificate for those replacement parts. Yes I do, but what does it actually say?! It's a certificate for warehousing??!! Who cares! I don't care how did you pack your parts and about how your process inside your warehouse works. It's a certificate for quality control??!! Who cares! I don't care what kind of measuring device you use. I don't even know do you use it every time. An certificate for manufacturing, materials and design! That's the thing to own! But who has it in the aftermarket? Nobody! Who will have it? Nobody! What will happen to a company which will issue that kind of certificate? OEM will pay them a visit. By night. Or it will be some company who's certificate doesn't mean a thing. The only way for marketing and choosing parts in the aftermarket sector is the "world of mouth". That's what the forum is for! Regards!
Buy liners from Mahle Buy bearings and bushings for Miba Buy gasket kits from buldog or world gasket Buy rings and valves from CAT or Perfect Circle Buy pistons from IPD Buy oil pump from CGR Buy turbocharger from CAT You can also buy some items from AFA its okay But for your information most of the other companies they manufacture and packaged in china under restricted terms. I have seen many but they wont accept to sale for outside contacted buyers
Built quite a few Cat 3406A&B in the day with IPD parts. Always had some problems, such as piston skirt touching oil spray tube, bearings that were made cheap. Actually worked on Detroit 12V71 sugar cane hauler converted Terex TS-14 and had lots of problems with cheap pistons. If it is only for a low usage farm machine, I would use their stuff, but for heavy industry I always buy OEM. Recently did a Komatsu D155A Engine with KMP Parts and piston and liners had no problems. Their water pump parts were a litlle off, the crankshaft thrust washers were made too wide but so are the OEM ones. I could not get end play with them so used a used set to get 0.007 end play. KMP gasket set had quite a few extras, and were not too bad. On Komatsu engines the parts are less than 25% of the OEM Dealer Parts. That is my experience, hope it helps. Remember, the installing mechanic is totally responsible. Simon C
How long does it take to get parts from Perfect Circle in Nigeria? Asking for a friend...........
That something I've never had before. Perfect Circles from Nigeria. Wonder if I should order two?
What do you know about Friday Parts? Thoughts on quality?
If it's not OEM I won't put it inside an engine. Had a **** around with Yellowmark parts one time and I will no longer touch non-OEM stuff for internals after that.
That's usually the case with aftermarket parts. One bad luck and people won't touch it anymore. And maybe it even wasn't a problem with the part itself. I've been working with Interstate-McBee since 2014 and so far I think all the best of it. Also JMP Marine sea water pumps; very good. Now, what about this webpage "Friday parts"? I've been searching aroznd this forum and it seems to have good reviews.
My 3204 was rebuilt with IPD 3 ring pistons and other parts. I've had no problems with the engine. The shop that did it is an IPD dealer and rebuilds a lot of much bigger engines using IPD parts. I wouldn't think they'd like to have do warranty work because of poor quality parts. I'd also suspect there are instances when they use OEM for certain parts. I think better mechanics would be able to tell when there are issues with new parts whether they are aftermarket or OEM.
IMcB/IPD or Sealed power..{ with all the bad/sad information online of horror stories about total destruction causing small and major businesses to file chapter eleven plus mechanics admitting they thought about leaving a suicide note after using aftermarket parts it's a wonder the three I listed are still in business. Stories of failed pistons failed bearings engine valves that fell out burned to a crisp. But had they used oem it wouldn't have happened, never mind they left out some important info and back story. Yes OEM is best I suppose but when the price is too high or not available--aftermarket it is--and forget that comfortable fuzzy feeling that goes with oem, just lay in bed at night with reels of nightmares playing a constant cloud of smoke and coolant gushing down as a rod makes it's way through the side of the block. Cold sweats wake you and you realize your dream is just a dream and truth is you installed all oem and it still sent one through the side. * Friend just rebuilt a yanmar with friday--runs fine.
Not only do I like the price of their parts, their service is great also. Grab a coupon code online and they honor it.
@Truck Shop Hahahahahahaha
Yellowmark is supposed to be Caterpillar's aftermarket brand. If they can screw that up I have a hard time trusting a 3rd party to get it right. That's just my experience mind you. I'm sure others have had great luck with aftermarket.
In this business--a mechanic better have a sense of humor and a comic mind to go with it--otherwise there life of constant wholesomeness and stern behavior will turn them into a archie bunker.
Took a tour of the Lycoming airplane engine plant in Williamsport Pa years ago. Saw a large amount of parts marked "Mahle" from Brazil on them. Most everyone in the tour group commented about this, and were not at all happy with this.
It could be that Lycoming and other manufacturers have companies like Mahle build parts for them to their specific specifications. The same way Cat has filters and stuff made to their specs.
Mahle is a huge conglomerate, look up the top five companies that make pistons and where they're located.
^
they are indeed huge. They make replaceables for my TDI beetle engine, oil filters, suspension parts and bits and pieces.