Quick connect vs flush faced coupling for hammer Hi guys have a quirky problem that has been bugging me. CAT 416C IT with e stick running a npk hammer on it. The auxiliary hydraulics are plumbed with a diverter valve, I have to press the pedal to retract the e stick to run the hammer. Over the past 2 years I have had to use the hammer maybe a dozen times with maybe 50 hrs of hammer usage. In that time I've replaced 4 sets of old style quick connect couplers. They don't leak, but the poppet inside gets mushroomed and then the spring breaks causing the poppet to **** to the side restricting flow. I have uses aero quip and Dixon brand fittings from a very reputable hose shop. Will switching to a flush face fitting help? Is it the hammer? Diverter valve causing pressure or flow problems? Help getting tired of replacing fittings. 1" quick connect flows 29 Gpm and cost 90 a set 1" flush face are 165 a set flow 19 Gpm so I may need to run a 1-1/4 fitting
It's the impulse shock load of the oil at the hammer causing your problem, and you will continue to have this problem with any quick connector that depends on retainer balls to hold the connector together. Oil impulse load is brinelling the balls and grooves the retainer balls fit into. You need to use a threaded connector, I only use Stucchi VEP series connectors on breakers. http://www.stucchiusa.com/PRODUCT SERIES/VEP.html
I second what willie59 has to say. We go through quick connecters often, for hammers and vibe plates. I think sometimes its just easier to use the threaded couplers, than the quick connect. I can put the big hammer on the excavator, which is threaded, faster most of the time than the quick connectors. Maybe I am just doing something wrong, but one line usually has pressure in it when trying to hook it up.
Thanks for the quick replies. I work for a municipal water district, the hammer only gets used on major roads maybe 5-6 times a year. I'll look into those threaded fittings. My only question is why would this problem suddenly pop up. We never had this problem, it's only me and the other operator who run the machine, we rotate so if he's running the machine I'm in the ground swapping the hammer.
Willie is exactly right, Stucchi couplers are the way to go... they're expensive, but 'you only cry once'.
Just try them and you will wonder why the manufactures don't put them on all machines.