Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how do you clean the Injectors on a 1959 D8H

whitewolf ยท 2015-01-18 23:29

how to clean the Injectors on a 1959 D8H

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2015-01-19 08:23

    Why exactly are you wanting to "clean" the injectors..? Does the engine have a problem..?

  2. #2whitewolf2015-01-19 16:44

    injector problem because some of them are plug, I understand that there is a small drill bit type of device to do the job,however, I can't seem to find one.

  3. #3Nige2015-01-19 17:55

    I'll stand corrected on this regarding the D342 engine in your D8H but the only way I am aware of is to remove the injectors and take them to a reputable diesel fuel injection specialists and ask for them to be overhauled. They may or may not be in "overhaulable" condition and some/all of them might have to be replaced. Is your engine not firing on all 6 cylinders..?

  4. #4lantraxco2015-01-19 19:11

    Isn't that a precup engine? Capsule nozzles? Mind you it's been twenty years or so....

  5. #5John C.2015-01-19 20:05

    Don't know of anyone rebuilding what we used to call button nozzles. All I've ever seen was that it was far cheaper and easier to pick up new ones and throw the old ones away.

  6. #6razz2015-01-19 20:21

    I have ad8h and you just buy new ones about 50 dollars each they told me no fix to the capsule injectors I just did mine 100 hours ago. razz

  7. #7Old Magnet2015-01-20 14:53

    The D342 capsule has a 0.0249" orifice. The Cat number for the drill is 5B2178 New service group # for the capsule installation is 8M1584, the actual capsule only is 5M4086. Other than cleaning with the drill bit they are a throw away capsule.

  8. #8lantraxco2015-01-20 15:57

    Thanks OM, I did not know they could be cleaned that way.

  9. #9Deworley2015-01-20 20:10

    I have used Costex for a lot of aftermarket parts on my 8's and the nozzles are about $15 bucks a piece and come with the o-ring too. So far no problems with their stuff only thing I got that was bad was a master cylinder for my 12F motor grader.