Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you get rust out of fuel tanks

Abscraperguy ยท 2011-07-23 17:18

Any ideas or stuff that"s worked for you to get rust out of fuel tanks?

Replies8
  1. #1Steve Frazier2011-07-23 22:08

    A muratic acid solution sloshed around will do the trick followed by epoxy paint to prevent recurrence

  2. #2RayF2011-07-24 03:39

    Maybe not applicable here but used a lot by us stationary engine restorers is molassis.A bit of rusty iron in a solution of molassis and water will clean the rust off in a few weeks.

  3. #3danregan2011-07-24 05:19

    probly not the answer your looking for, but I dropped the tank out of my JD644, cut off the bottom, and rewelded a new plate on it.

  4. #4HSV1272011-07-24 14:05

    I've got this problem on a Cat 613 that I'm driving at the moment, someone had left the diesel cap off as well and the birds had nested in the top tank which is part of the chassis, I used a wet vacuum cleaner with different shaped hoses as well as a piece of wire to hook and suck as much as I could out plus removed the bottom tank and washed, sucked and hooked all the crap out of it, what a nightmare! Good luck.

  5. #5adam215842011-07-24 22:53

    I have used oven cleaner to clean tanks. always removed the tank though.

  6. #6Kobe1302011-07-25 11:33

    Going thru the same issue myself on my SK130. Lots of rust on the bottom third of tank. Going to pull the tank, plug all the holes after removing the fuel sender then treat it with hydrochloric acid in water. Got a can of POR15 to coat it after all the rust is gone. The tank is pretty heavy (.25" wall) so not worried about it eating thru unlike automotive tanks. Probably only leave it for an hour to soak and dissolve the rust. Need to be really careful with the acid - rubber gloves and good goggles/faceshield. Good luck.

  7. #7Randy882011-07-25 12:31

    Epoxy paint for inside a fuel tank? I was always told to never paint inside any tank because over time the fuel will break down the paint and cause even more problems or was I told wrong? Anybody using muratic acid make sure you've got something on for a respirator and do it in the open where there's plenty of air movement the fumes will get you long before any acid on you will.

  8. #8Lee-online2011-07-25 19:10

    We remove our tanks and sent them to our local radiator repair place. They clean them up and coat them with a product designed just for this. Not sure what they do but it isnt too expensive.