Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How far do you let your rubber tracks go before replacing?

Allgood ยท 2009-12-07 21:50

I have just about gotten all the good out of the tracks on my Takeuchi TB145. I'm concerned that if i let it go much more the rear sprocket teeth will be hitting the ground. Anybody have that happen, or is that something I shouldn't worry about? While I'm on the subject, any suggestions on where to go for a set of tracks for a Tak TB145? Man, love the machine!

Replies12
  1. #1adv.wastewater2009-12-08 17:42

    If you're tracks are that bad to where the sprocket is hitting the ground or close to it you need to replace them. There should be steel under the tracks that should prevent that.

  2. #2strott2009-12-09 14:22

    Maybe a pic would help the experts inform you.

  3. #3brian falcone2009-12-09 21:29

    tracks on our tb135 we run them till they break. the sprocket shouldnt hit the ground. we get about 1000 hours out of a set of mclaren tracks. what ussually happens is the cable inside the track breaks. then the metal lugs that the sprockets grab gets ripped out....then the track finally breaks. we keep an extra track at the shop . then order a new set .still has the original rollers,idlers and sprockets. the rubber on tracks still has a lot of meat left when the cables break. the machine is on asphalt and concrete a lot and it works the blade a lot too. not sure what others are getting for hours out of the tracks.

  4. #4Allgood2009-12-10 09:19

    Both tracks are about the same. Here are a few pictures. I want to get all the good out of them that I can but I don't want to break anything, like a sprocket, due to letting them get too bad. I'm hoping to get some more use out of these tracks before replacing them. Thoughts?

  5. #5Hanomag2009-12-10 13:12

    I would suggest that you run the tracks until one of them breaks, to save downtime (and cash) buy one new track, when you eventually fit it order the second track. As regards how long should a rubber track last - my experience with a Uk rental fleet would suggest 1250 hours +/- 250 hours, if your tracks run to 2000 hours -smile! All depends on the ground conditions and the operator! Regards

  6. #6strott2009-12-10 14:42

    Providing you don't do a lot of high traction operations e.g. loading up steep ramps when transporting or using the machine as a dozer, then you should be able to run the tracks for a while longer either as said before until they break or you feel uncomfortable using them. How many hours use did you cost in for the tracks to last?

  7. #7Daphne2009-12-15 23:42

    As regards how long should a rubber track last - my experience with a Uk rental fleet would suggest 1250 hours +/- 250 hours, if your tracks run to 2000 hours -smile! All depends on the ground conditions and the operator! I think so. it depends on the ground conditions and some times the operator. But I think the supplier will have some WARRANTY TIME. I think it will be good for you

  8. #8heavylift2009-12-16 12:35

    I think they should be replaced... save the old set for spares...then if a track does break you have a set to fall back on... I've seen southerns (the sneaky ones ) rip a set of fairly new tracks off a deere35. I guess cheap labor offsets the cost of the tracks

  9. #9Hendrik2009-12-16 18:27

    Bit hard to tell from the pictures but looks like you might want to put new sprockets on there as well.

  10. #10KSSS2009-12-16 21:17

    I got 1500 hours out of the OEM Bridgestones on my TB53FR. I am currently at 1000 hours on my TB153FR which are also Bridgestone and I see no issues in at least getting another 500 hours as long as nothing stupid happens. Does no good to run them slick unless your on asphalt/concrete all the time. Sometimes at least here I find myself pulling myself up some 1:1 slope. The more tread the better.

  11. #11DGODGR2009-12-19 00:06

    I have a Bobcat 435 ZHS with over 2000 hrs. Still running the OEM tracks and I'm not even thinking about replacement yet.

  12. #12mountaindirt2010-01-13 12:05

    run them till they break but start shopping around now because the dealers seem to ask an arm and a leg for them, and if you are desperate and need a working machine its hard to shop around