OK its a bit late to ask cos I have already purchased one, but what does every one think of these? I dont think they are a disaster waiting to happen but is there anything in particular that I should watch out for? (The machine has done 3400hrs with a versa arm and quick-tach) I will be using it for farm duties. I did have a perfect 920 with only 5000hrs but sadly it had an involuntary cremation. I may seem stark raving mad but I was attached to the little bugger as it always went and never asked for 10 cents from one year to the next. Any pointers on the 924 would be much appreciated. Cheers.
I see the high lift versions all the time in the dairy industry around here. They use them for mixing feed in their early life and then manure later on. I've seen several in the twenty thousand hour range that only had one engine rebuild or replacement. After handling manure for seven to ten thousand hours there usually isn't much left. Probably the biggest wear issue is where the hooks latch onto the couplers. Keep building those up with weld now and then and you won't have much problem. I don't hear much about design issues and most of the big problems i've seen are maintenance related. Dairies don't generally hire the most intelligent or caring employees.
actually, I only see CAT 924F loader, But CAT 924G as the upgrading product of CAT 924F, it should have many advantages
I can understand why you were attached to your 920..they are just about bulletproof and happily computer free.
You are dead right Rusted, however it might not be gone for good as my father is retiring shortly and wants to rebuild it from the ground up to keep himself busy. (As well as a Chamberland 9G- next he will be off crossing the country on it!) As for the Quick coupler I made some replacable bushes for it so that it wont flog out, or more to the point I can fix it faster than having to weld and grind it back to round. I am quite surprised at Cat over the coupler pins as it could be a lot better than it is for very little extra money. Cheers.
this is not really on topic but hows things looking out there nextdoor? I went through some of that area about a month back and a lot of it didnt look that flash. Did you get any of the rain that just went through? Hope its all good and I reckon that loader will suit you down to the ground steve
Steve I will PM you.
We own Four (4) 924G's and each has had their own issues. The only similar issues we have had have been with fuel filters and it's been worse using after market. We now change the filter after 80-100 hours. We have been told it's the new additives in the fuel but we have other similar machines using the same filters and it hasn't been an issue. Repairs are done inhouse and our maintenance cost averages between $2.17 and $2.23 per operating hour. John C. was right on with the quick couplers. We have hard faced each at around 1000 hours and they have lasted another 2000. This winter we cut out each and replace each connection point with Hardox. We'll see what happens!!!!