Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How hard is it to access the master cylinders on an early 580SE

syndy ยท 2012-02-20 19:45

In May I will be going up to NC. to work on my Case and to start building a barn for it. I will be putting back the rebuilt boom cyl and looking into why I have no right brake. When I read the manual for brake cyl removal it says I have to remove the instrument panel in order to get at the cylinders. I am wondering if I have to do the same in order to "check" the hyd fluid in them. I wish I had taken a photo of that area but never had the chance. Hint, hint. If there is fluid then I know what to do with checking the rest of the system and how to bleed and adjust it. (also remove the self adjusting nuts if there). I'm pretty sure they are dry brakes as the parking brake is the same as the hydraulic brakes, not on the drive shaft. I am somewhat concerned that the previous owner put DOT3 brake fluid in that cylinder, ugh! I will be short on time, one week, so every hour counts.

Replies6
  1. #1coorecat2012-02-21 00:47

    Syndy what part of North Carolina are you going to be in?

  2. #2alrman2012-02-21 06:17

    Instument panel comes out with 4 screws; main wiring plug; tacho cable (mechanical type) or tacho plug (electrical type) bowen has a pic of master cyls with dash out here - Yours will likely have the spring clip type covers

  3. #3syndy2012-02-21 10:26

    coorecat, we bought a Christmas tree farm in Laurel Springs, Alleghany county just south of Sparta. That's where the hoe sits. airman, I guess you are saying, remove the instrument cluster just to see the fluid level? :-(

  4. #4bowen2012-02-21 16:09

    Some of them do not require checking. What kind do you have?

  5. #5alrman2012-02-21 16:17

    :yup - what bowen says

  6. #6syndy2012-02-21 16:57

    Mine is the older style like on a car with the spring clips, you have to add hydraulic fluid. I just find it hard to believe that the instrument cluster would have to be removed to do that. Seems like if I can reach it and remove the clip, I can use a mirror and small pump to fill it if needed. I'll be working in a field with high grass all around and hope it is not raining. If I drop anything it is gone. Having owned a marine business for twenty years and worked over the water on engines. I found ways around what the book said because of the conditions. I guess I will have to wait and see how I will check them. Thanks for the tips.