Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How hard to pull a dead machine

Welder Dave ยท 2022-06-25 22:01

I'm working on my 931B Cat loader and need to pull it forward a couple feet to work on the backhoe swing pivot. I can't start it because I have a bunch of hoses disconnected and would spray oil everywhere. Should a 45 HP tractor or skid steer be able to pull/push it on level ground with some gravel? The bucket is blocked up. I'm welding up the top bore for the swing pivot. I considered trying to do it with the hoses attached but they were just in the way too much. The boom is separated from the swing post and supported on a hyd. jack. After welding I'm going to attempt to use my heavy drill press to bore the weld for the swing bushing. Pulling the machine ahead gives room for the drill press base and would also give the best access for welding the bore.

Replies5
  1. #1skyking12022-06-25 22:09

    if it has a neutral it will move easily. I towed the 120 carbody out and pushed it back with the 35 mini like it was on wheels.

  2. #2Welder Dave2022-06-25 22:23

    Thanks! Yes it has a neutral. I figured it should move fairly easily. The trick will be pushing it back to mount the backhoe boom to the swing pins.

  3. #3skyking12022-06-25 22:26

    snatch block it to something behind, if it does not shove easily.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-06-25 23:14

    It's in a pole shed with the backhoe behind it. If it pulls ahead it should push back just as easy... I hope. LoL

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-06-26 23:42

    Moved easily with the skid steer.