I'm in the market for a mid sized excavator specifically a kobelco bladerunner. I want to be able to move it on a pintle hitch trailer behind a l9000 tandem ford dump truck. Can it be safely done considering the machine to be a kobelco ed190 approx weight 45k
With a 30 ton trailer yea but that also means the trailer will have three axles you might be asking a lot of that l 9000 depending on what it's got for power
3208 cat
You will be pushing limits with that, if 3208 T could have enough butt to get out of its own way. What type pintle is On the truck now? There are different ratings and types, best in this app is a six bolt air chamber dampened at least 50T unit to take the stress and not beat the back of the frame off the truck. They do make a 45T set up four bolt but is pretty well at the limits of what you are wanting to do with trailer weight/added buckets/attachments added in.
45k excavator, 12,000lbs trailer, 20,000lb truck? 50,000lbs gross is about all you really want with a 3208. Some guys would say 30,000lbs is plenty. I'd say you need more truck.
But as flat as Gulfport, MS appears, do you think he maybe has a chance with the old 3208? One of those things, run it until it earns the money to get a better truck maybe. I know they are selling a lot of big trucks out of California due to emissions regulations....
no, the old ford is probably enough truck, but the motor just won't hold up under that kind of weight.
...when she sits on your face & u cant hear the stereo.. Sorry.. I thought this was the Humor forum..
Seen the lot of 3208 and 6.6 diesels with the guts destroyed trying to do too much with too little. The 7.8 and 3208T survived a little longer but do not deal well with too much weight. Hope he enjoys shifting, a LOT.
Currently no pintle so i could add whichever one... The entire back "bumper" is gone. My truck is na...it wouldn't be moving it very often I'd say 3 times a month at most
Well there was the coffe spitting moment of my morning If what you got is what you got you can make it work we've all been there and a lot of us are still there from time to time on the this is safe but it sucks parts of doing business If your not moving but a few times a month in your situation I would either buy a slightly smaller machine or look to hire out the transport of it or spring for a truck with more engine
Be easier to buy a strictly transport truck/trailer and buy big enough machines to handle most anything, it could sit with the machines until needed.
D Miller said it that's actually ho I am set up but it cost a couple bucks to get there but it's way more convenient and for everything The problem with the excavation business is what it takes in support equipment so your not at the mercy of others schedules
I’ve owned a couple 3208 cats and it will be pretty weak. Yes it will pull it very slowly, I would bet you’ll never use the upper 2 gears in transmission I’m sure you’ve loaded to the max already. How did it do?
Had dump trucks come into the last public shop I worked, 3208 the older 1160, and 3208T all similar in power, T a little stronger, city delivery single axle tractors with them too. Most really weak on their own, add a little bed material with a trailer they were sick weak.
Not sure how much HP the 3208 is but I pull a similar setup with 330hp with Allison 6 speed and you're not going anywhere fast. Starting out on flat ground is ok, but getting going on a hill it's tough, it's very very slow. I would not even consider it with any less HP, or with similar HP on a tired engine.
3208= 180-210HP{turbo'd} {over the road engines}
Oh wow, not a chance then. That thing would have a hard time getting out of it's own way with the box loaded, never mind anything else.
As I stated earlier. 3208 was tough getting them out of their own way when loaded.
guys I don`t think the man is interested in running a hundred miles an hour he just wants to move his machine occasionaly
Sure, but that amount of HP still isn't going to do it. The only way that kind of HP would even hit 60 MPH is downhill with a massive tailwind. My 330hp truck is IMO borderline too little HP to be on the road because it just cannot get up to or maintain proper speed at certain times and that is 50% more HP and the truck is only a few years old which makes a massive difference. Considering the age of truck, i'd imagine it would kill the engine and/or transmission in short order if you tried it.
What's the weight law like down there? In my state, I don't think you could scale that setup without permits. Figure 22,000 for the truck, 14,000 for a tridem trailer. So you're already over 80,000 right there. But most of those pintle trailers are too short to scale 80,000 even with 3 axles. You also have trouble getting enough weight on the truck tandems. Most guys here will try to stay under 30,000 lbs on the machine to pull with a tandem.
Mine works out at 20,000 for the truck 15,500 trailer and 50,000 for the hoe. Allowed 53,000 on trailer axles, 12,500 goes on the truck. My trailer is 34' long, I can put all the weight on the truck I want, the hoe is probably 6' back from the front of the trailer with how I load it now. Pretty common here to see guys pulling 200's behind dump trucks, i'd guess there is probably 10 other companies here i've seen doing it. So much more cost effective then a tractor and lowboy, and simple for short city moves. Was talking to another guy last week with a 240, has a dump truck but has to pay someone to move hoe. Can't even bid on so many jobs because he cannot compete due to moving expense. Do some out of town jobs (maybe 20-30 mins out), by the time he would pay for moving 2 times there's no money in the job, can't be paying $1500-1800 to move a hoe on a $4500-5000 job. But for guys like me who move it myself, in one day come with machine dig, then back next day finish and bring hoe back there's good coin in it.
You get a lot more weight than we are allowed. We are limited to 80,000 gross and 46,000 on triple axles. That machine would require a permit for every move in my state.
It does require 2 yearly permits, one for over width, and one for the tridem axle group. But at $75/year for both, not a concern at all and one that anyone needs to move regardless if a tag or fifthwheel.
I get the feeling it's a lot easier up there than here. In my state, you can get an annual permit for dimension, but not for weight (possibly in some narrow cases). And the weight permit is only good for state roads. Any county, township, or city road requires a separate permit. You can get an annual permit for a short trailer that does not meet federal bridge law, but again, only for state roads. In fact, many county roads are still limited to the old state weight limit of 73280lbs. It's a paperwork disaster. That's why more folks here stick with a smaller machine that does not need permits, or a really big machine that can justify the hassle.
It is a regulatory hassle with regulatory $$$ Signs!!
I've been told it's 54k in ms but I have not verified that, I'm now specifically looking for the ed150 which should be right at 35.5k my truck weights about 16 according to the local scale
It is all about speed....3 times a month ....and your ok with 45-50 miles an hour down hill....then yep it would do it...tri axle trailer for sure....watch your temps on everything...also adding pintle/apron for 50t can get costly....trailer air and wiring is also fun.
I had a blade runner...got rid of it because of weight...cheaper to haul my little 550 dozer and a smaller hoe around
A 3208 doesn't have enough power for a 6 wheeler, forget a tandem. No jake brake.
It probably was a good marine engine..........no hills.