Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How Long Can Chains Run in a 40XT Without Oil?

alrman ยท 2012-01-09 07:59

Answer - this one went 3 yrs & did 500hrs. Did a service on this some time back - it had no oil from factory. Had gone through factory & dealer pre-delivery without being checked. Even if your machines are brand new - check your oils!

Replies14
  1. #1buckwheat_la2012-01-09 11:34

    OMG that is horrible, someone at the factory should have a boot up there @$$

  2. #2KSSS2012-01-09 11:53

    It also should have never made it through the dealer's PDI without having oil in the chain case. Lastly the owner should at least yearly check the level.

  3. #3alrman2012-01-09 17:22

    True, on both counts. This machine does not do alot of work, as shown by the hours in 3yrs. The owner reasoned that the 'oil' should be OK for 1000hrs & that since the machine was NEW it should last till then. He said - "when you buy a new truck, who checks to see if there is any oil in the diff ?" BTW - the dealer accepted no responsibility at all! I suggested to them that they at least supply him 2 new chains , in good faith ........ "nope - he should have checked the oil before then" - my reply - "yes - but it should have been there to start with & checked by you guys TWICE" - No Deal ...... not good PR at all.

  4. #4siduramaxde2012-01-09 21:57

    At least he didn't have to worry about it leaking

  5. #52stickbill2012-01-09 22:02

    I have seen dealers fill out the paper work to get paid for the PDI check.Never check anything just wash it an ship it.

  6. #6willie592012-01-09 22:02

    Ya know, sometimes being nice (dealer) might cost you a few bucks in parts, but on the other hand, being not nice (dealer) could cost you a whole lot in lost sales from bad advertising (mad customer) that you (dealer) ain't gotta dime invested in. Don't seem all that hard to get a grip on to me.

  7. #7mitch5042012-01-09 23:49

    Is that rusty water in the very bottom of the case, or just the way it looks in the pic?

  8. #8motrack2012-01-10 03:04

    If the owner had followed the maintance schedual in his operators manual he would have discovered no oil in the chain case while the unit was under warranty. Did the dealer fubar performing the PDI? Most likely did but expecting them to supply parts 3 years later is unreasonable. The machine owner is as much to blame as the dealer for this.

  9. #9buckwheat_la2012-01-10 03:35

    Two wrongs don't make a right, I agree that the machine owner should have followed his mainteance schedule however this is the DAMN dealer, the dealer has no excuse at all. Let us put it this way, the dealer should have disclosed that they had not put oil in it, and they offered a service without actually preforming the service THAT IS FRAUD!!!. What if the owner had taken it to the same dealer for its servicing? Is it his responsibility to recheck every thing that the dealer said they would do? Do you check to make sure that the oil filter in on properly when you get a oil change at your local lube shop? I would think not, that is why you payed for it to be done there to begin with, if I had to recheck everything over a second time then I might as well do it myself, don't you think. I wonder if a good lawyer and a understanding judge would have more sympathy for the owner or the dealer?

  10. #10alrman2012-01-10 05:45

    No water Mitch, that reddish tinge is dust from the rust areas on the chain. Those 3 marks in first pic, is where I touched the dust with my fingers...... in disbelief.

  11. #11KSSS2012-01-10 10:50

    I have never heard of anything like this. You would think that the chain would have made a lot of noise with no fluid in the chain case.

  12. #12jcg2012-01-10 12:21

    How do you like your 40xt?

  13. #13motrack2012-01-11 00:07

    Go back to the dealer and request a copy of the PDI if you were not given one at time of delivery. They will have a copy in their file and Case has a copy also.

  14. #14alrman2013-11-30 18:40

    Update - I thought I might update this story as it has recently been refreshed in my aging memory. We flushed & filled this chaincase & I told the owner to keep watching for any oil leaks, just to be sure all was OK. Nothing was heard from him. A few months later, get a call that there is some noise coming from the problem side. I assumed the axle bearings were now shot. First thing we do is check oil level - it's gone again! "I thought you were to keep an eye on this!!!" ......only to get the reply - "we have been looking" - (another 'suck bucket' fairy strikes again in the night) I found that a 6 inch length of weld had not taken properly at the inner side of the casing, of course, down near the drive motor. Anyway, repair the weld, fit new axle bearings & all is now good. BTW it still has the original chains fitted, a little stretched (near max!) but still servicable. So, the dealers weren't entirely to blame, but it would have been leaking oil early in it's life, probably from day 1 as far as I reckon, - should have been picked up during the warranty period. rofessor Moral of story - check oil levels - old machine or new!