Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many CFM’s does a 3304 Cat d5h lgp move?

Dozer_Mark · 2022-08-15 21:54

I'm looking to purchase a centri precleaner for my 1994 d5h lgp with a 3304 rated at 129/120 gross/net HP. The 4" centri precleaner would fit right on the factory stack coming out of the air intake system through the hood but according to centri is rated for 200-400 CFM. The next step up is the 5". I can use an exhaust reducer to make it fit and it moves 350-700 CFM. Which one should I go with? Will the larger one not work as well if less than 350 CFM is moving through it? I'm assuming these rely on the CFM's that the engine produces to spin the impeller fast enough to do it's precleaning job. Is the 4" rated at 200-400 CFM going to be sufficient? How many CFM's do these engines (3304 turbocharged) produce? Thanks in advance! -Mark

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2022-08-15 22:42

    http://powertherm.com/wp-content/themes/powertherm/pdf/DonaldsonAirFiltration251-258.pdf - - Exhaust -- Engine Intake Temp. Flow Model RPM HP CFM (°F) (CFM) 3304T.............2200 ...... 165 ......264 900 ......... 665 264 CFM at 165 HP, I definitely wouldn't use the 5". Maybe a 3" or 3.5" if there is such a thing. They do work best at a certain flow.

  2. #2Dozer_Mark2022-08-17 14:49

    Good info thanks! I did a few CFM calculators on google and came up with some similar results but they seemed low to me. Seems like cal fire uses the 5" on all their dozers but I don't think I'll go with that one for this little d5. Thanks for the response

  3. #3chidog2022-08-17 21:36

    At 2200 rpm, 425 cid, I got 270 cfm, NA not boosted. HP doesn't do a thing to swept volume.