Hi All, I am looking at buying a vibratory plow (smaller one like a Case Maxi Sneaker) and I have a choice between a few machines. All have their pros and cons condition wise and how they are equipped (example, some have the chain trencher up front some not, some have the boring unit....some not), I have a chance to get a unit with about 4700 hours on it that the owner claims runs fine....he has not done anything major to it other than change oil and filters and grease (he mainly used the vibratory plow). Is that too many hours for a diesel engine (believe 4 cyl Leyland diesel (british?). What do you think?.....How many hours should the unit be good for? Thanks! Andrew PS - most of the other machines I have looked at have about half the hours or less....only reason I am considering this unit instead of the others for basically the same price is because it comes with the front trencher / bore unit, has new tires, and the boring rods and bits (plus he said it was work ready)....the other units...with half the ours or less....do not have the optional attachments etc...
I'm wondering what everybody else will say. My experience with Leyland is that there sure seem to be a lot of them sitting around for parts:beatsme
Not familiar with a Leyland but if engine sounds good and doesn't smoke out the breather or oil fill if you take cap off might be in very good shape. Problem with engines is you never really know what's going on inside. Oil samples are the best you can do but even they can't predict head gasket, valve, turbo, water pump, or too many more things to list might be close to failure.
I have no idea how it was maintained, serviced or any history of it, if there is a service place in your area that knows something about that engine, has parts and can fix it, go for it, if not, no matter the price, its not a good deal,that also goes for the rest of the machine as well, in my opinion.