Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Here, trying to identify engine

Scott7711 ยท 2014-08-30 10:24

I'm new to this forum, If post has to be moved, could someone please direct me where it would fit in? I could use some help from your guys identifying a power unit engine so I may find the correct parts and gaskets to repair. I have a Caterpillar power unit generator, I have not been able to find any good usable identifying tags that Michigan Cat can use to find parts. It is a 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel, liquid cooled. genny is 250 amp, 600 volt. What I have found is: raised Casting number on injection pump nozzle body are 7S8829 and on the governor body is 71456. There is a tag on the oil filter side on the block that reads: serial number 4B4742 POWER UNIT on the genny itself is a tag that is scratched up, I have a few legible letters, the stars mean I cannot read or make out the letters or exactly how many letters are between the ones I can read: Repu**** ****** Development Co. Electric Drive & Controls Washington Illinois D09240 Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info or help or links to find info on this unit. Scott

Replies36
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-30 15:11

    REPUBLIC ELECTRIC & DEVELOPMENT CO. 309-691-7000 1619 Luthy Dr. Peoria, Illinois, USA 61615 Dunno about the engine, first thing I would do is give it a bath, see if I could find a machined surface with stamped numbers

  2. #2Scott77112014-08-30 15:44

    Okay, well that helps me some, appreciate the help She is a dirty thing, but I have been to all the usual places where numbers would be, along oil pan ridge, bellhouse flange, head, front case... etc.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-08-30 16:08

    7S8829 with a bit of searching comes up as a 3304 injection pump housing. If it has or had a tag it looks like it should be under the oil cooler on the side of the block. Picture of a similar engine:

  4. #4Scott77112014-08-30 17:09
  5. #5Cmark2014-08-30 17:43

    I think you may have got 4B4742 wrong; that's the part number for a key in a marine drive unit. However that number, whatever it is is probably your arrangement number so if you can read it correctly that should be the key to identifying your engine.

  6. #6Scott77112014-08-30 18:26

    That is the serial number tag that reads 4B4742. not a part number tag this tag is clearly legible

  7. #7Nige2014-08-30 20:00

    As Cmark says, 4B4742 comes up in the Cat system as a genuine Part Number. The problem is that it's only installed on either a D342 or a D364 Marine Engine - and yours obviously isn't either of those............ my first thought when I looked at it was 3304 but I'm not good enough to identify if it could possibly be a D300-series that would make it older than a 3304. Usually an Engine Serial Number tag will also include the Arrangement Number which indicates the Bill of Materials used to build the engine. In the absence of a Serial Number an Arrangement Number can often be a good subsitute. Can you post a good close-up photo of the plate..?

  8. #8Scott77112014-08-30 20:35

    Yes, I will get a picture of the plate sometime this coming week.

  9. #9Cmark2014-08-30 21:32

    Just to clarify, in Caterpillar's world all major components are given what's called an arrangement number. It has the same format as a part number because to all intents and purposes that is what it is. If you were to look up an arrangement number you would find that it consists of several more (group) part numbers which themselves consist of further (group) numbers and so on until you get down to the individual component level. That's the beauty of the Cat system. With just one arrangement number you can identify down to the last nut and bolt what components are in an engine (or transmission etc) The serial number is the top level identifier of an engine. Logically, an engine consists of two things; the physical iron making up the engine (the arrangement) and the performance spec the engine is set to. The serial number will tell us both of these things but if we're only looking for parts then the arrangement number is good enough. (Occasionally there can be exceptions to this, more often with older machines)

  10. #10Bluox2014-08-30 21:40

    Your motor is most likely a 2B serial number,a 3304 an industrial engine,look on left side of blockfor number. Bob

  11. #11Scott77112014-08-31 08:28

    Bob, I've been searching high and low, typically the stamped numbers are on a flat, machined, pad surface, correct? I'll keep looking when I get back up to pit

  12. #12Bluox2014-08-31 08:56

    The serial number is stamped on a silver tag on side of block along with arrangement number.Check generator info plate for engine numbers. Good luck Bob

  13. #13Scott77112014-09-03 22:03

    here is a picture of the tag on the oil side of the engine. this tag is situated between the oil lines that run into the side of the block and the filter housing

  14. #14lantraxco2014-09-03 22:41

    Well, there ya go, we're all hung up in CAT's numbering system and they fooled us. That is of course the serial number just like it says and just like Scott7711 said. It's an early 4B 3304 Industrial, it's just so low in the serial number range it looked like a part/AR number. The CAT guys here or any CAT dealer should be able to easily look up that serial number and get you the Arrangement number which is the key to getting the correct parts. :beatsme

  15. #15SchuLace2014-09-04 00:07

    It might not be a bad idea to tell them your sn is 04b04742. That way it isn't assumed it is a part number while you are on the phone.

  16. #16Scott77112014-09-04 06:43

    I spoke to CAT yesterday, and that number comes up as a key for a marine engine, and by key I mean a key that would hold a pulley on a shaft or what not. strange. The guy did however give me a number for the old scroll pump that I need to repair. 7S8831. I've got a shop around that says he's familiar with them, could range between 900-1800.00

  17. #17Nige2014-09-04 07:23

    Not wishing to sound like a smartass but both Cmark and myself told you that back on Page 1 ............... and we can't understand it either.......

  18. #18Bluox2014-09-04 08:21

    Ask the parts guy to look in their fiche parts cards,2B,4Band5B are good serial prefix numbers for 3304 industrial engines. Good luck Bob

  19. #19Cmark2014-09-04 08:32

    OK. It's all making sense now. It's just a very early serial number tag. When you speak to your parts guy tell him your serial number is zero-four-B-4742.

  20. #20Nige2014-09-04 09:43

    Apologies. I didn't see that photo. It's confirmed as a 3304 Industrial Engine. As mentioned by Schulace above the complete 21-st century version of the Serial Number is actually 0 4B 0 4742 - the 2 additional zeros are required to direct the system to the correct engine model. Put the number in the Cat Parts System with the 2 additional zeros and it jumps right up at you.

  21. #21Scott77112014-09-04 10:28

    well that helps me out tremendously! Much obliged, Nige. Now do you know where I can get the old scroll pump serviced at for under 1000? rack is stuck and 3'rd plunger stuck from sitting. Unfortunately I'm going to pull the pump later this week, and I'm going to borrow the "wrench" socket to remove plungers and disassemble pump. Hopefully the cam is still decent and not broken, chipped or gouged. If I have a good core unit, I'll send it in to be rebuilt at Northern Diesel

  22. #22Nige2014-09-04 11:23

    You really need a fuel injection specialist to answer that question, unless your local Cat dealer has someone the age of JC himself still working in their fuel injection shop that is .......... There's a guy on HEF goes by the name of "thepumpguysc" IIRC. Try sending him a PM or maybe better still start a new thread under the title of "Cat 3304 injection pump question" or something like that and he'll probably chime straight in with a reply.

  23. #23overworked2014-09-04 11:30

    Aren't pictures wonderful, I would take it to your dealer.

  24. #24Scott77112014-09-04 13:13

    I'm quite familiar with injection pumps and fuel systems, just not the "old" scroll type. Identification with this has been a pain, but Cat has assured me that is a good number and I can now proceed with parts being ordered and getting the right specs for the pump. Thanks guys, Let you know when she is back running

  25. #25Nige2014-09-04 13:27

    If you have questions regarding parts by all means send me a PM with your e-mail address and details of what you need. I'll happily download the parts drawings for the injection pump and e-mail them to you. I've noticed that for engines of Serial Number up to 4B05546 (which includes yours) for the 7S-8831 Fuel Injection Pump Housing Group there is a "Type 1" and a "Type 2". Make sure you identify yours correctly when ordering parts.

  26. #26Scott77112014-09-04 14:15

    Okay, Thank you for that tidbit!

  27. #27lantraxco2014-09-04 14:21

    Don't you love that CAT "Type 1", "Type 2", "Type 3" crap? Means that A) they couldn't get it right, and B) they couldn't be bothered to record which serial numbers got what parts! LOL. Try 'splainin' that to an angry logger on the other end of the phone: "I can't promise you the parts will be right, I don't know which "Type" you have or have been updated to"

  28. #28Nige2014-09-04 14:39

    And of course that's before you get into the deal as to whether or not the machine is still "as built" or has been updated from whatever "Type" it was originally built with to something newer ............

  29. #29Nige2014-09-04 14:46

    To the OP, here's the difference between Type 1 & Type 2. Check out the red circle in the illustration below. If you just have a dowel in each of the 2 locations shown by the small dotted circles you have a Type 1 injection pump, if you have a dowel and a ball in each of the 2 locations you have a Type 2 pump. Obviously this is the same for all 4 units in the pump.

  30. #30Scott77112014-09-04 21:48

    Well that's an awesomely detailed picture! Thanks for that!

  31. #31Nige2014-09-05 12:32

    I should have clarified that illustration on Page 2 is of a Type 2 pump. The parts that are different between a Type 1 and a Type 2 - there are 5 of them in total - have a "C" next to the Part Number in the illustration. 4 of them are at the top RH side and 1 at the lower LH side.

  32. #32Scott77112014-09-13 09:00

    Okay, Injection pump had 2 plungers stuck, and the rack was jammed. (I knew this before sending it in) The technician also said someone had "FORCED" the hand throttle to full open and bent the rod, and jammed the piston for the governor that runs off the oil pressure safety mechanism. would have only been 1000.00 to repair, but since some muscle head bent that shaft it added 400.00 in parts to the total. but it's still cheaper than a new pump

  33. #33Nige2014-09-13 12:13

    Is it running then....?

  34. #34Scott77112014-09-14 07:07

    Not yet, I should have the pump back by the end of this week. Stay tuned***

  35. #35Scott77112014-09-25 09:53

    Back up and running. everything went together nicely, timing was spot on. Bled air out of system with a 12 volt transfer pump, cranked to get injectors fuel and she took right off. Had idle set at 850, but I lowered down to 825. max 1800 at full throttle. Thanks for all your help identifying this for me guys.

  36. #36Nige2014-09-25 13:41

    Always good to hear a success story.