Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many hours will my undercarriage last

Tuley ยท 2016-03-29 21:07

Hey folks, I have a JD550H and the bushings are just starting to wear through to the pins. I run in a lot of sand and cover a lot of ground grading ATV trails. They are an aftermarket set of chains. The rail part of the chain isn't worn that bad. Thanks for any input.

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042016-03-29 21:41

    If the bushings are worn through to the pins, I'd say you found out a few hours ago.

  2. #2Tuley2016-03-29 21:52

    But at this point I may as well run to destruction, I'm just wondering if I would even make it 500hrs

  3. #3mitch5042016-03-29 22:09

    Yes, you certainly may as well run it out, but plan to put on sprockets, and it may well damage idlers and rollers as well. I think you are on borrowed time, and I'd be shocked if you made 500 more hours.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2016-03-29 23:44

    Yair . . . Tuley .If the bushes are not breaking up and you still have some adjustment could take them off and put them on backwards to use the back of the bush. (tongue in cheek sort of grin) There is a thread on this somewhere on here and on other sites . . . several folks have told me it was done in the "old days". Cheers.

  5. #5Tuley2016-03-30 19:34

    Thanks guys, have decided to change it out now, then no worries of when it will fail. Thanks again

  6. #6Dickjr.2016-03-30 20:47

    It would run a while like this. The big problem is when it fails it will more than likely be in the middle of BFE and you will have a time getting it out to repair. I can't see how worn bushings would hurt the idlers or rollers as long as the pin boss doesn't hit the roller flange. Just changing the sprockets , the new sprockets will wear at an accelerated pace do to improper pitch on the chain or wear.

  7. #7grandpa2016-03-31 07:14

    Good plan to fix it NOW Tuley.... im also a believer that badly worn tracks lead to premature final drive failure.