Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 JD 450G Water Pump Repair

Price ยท 2016-03-31 11:22

I have water leak and it appears to be leaking behind the water pump pulley. There is dirt built up in that area and the water is only only the rear pulley(closest to engine). I have not replaced or repaired this pump before. How hard of a job is this? Can I pull off fan and then pull pump off to repair? The pulley has slack in it so I am assuming that the bearings and seal are worn and I will need a rebuild kit. Anything I can check/clean/adjust on pump before starting repair work? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2016-03-31 15:20

    If it's dripping water, and there's play in the bearing, that's about as sure as you can get that the water pump is bad without it falling off nothing else to do but take it off. The only other question is to rebuild it yourself, rebuilt, or aftermarket, or new if money is less important than other factors. At least check out what a rebuilt one will cost before attempting to rebuild it yourself. No idea how much experience you have at this, rebuilding a water pump is a little touchy with pressing it apart and not breaking stuff that's not supposed to break.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-03-31 16:14

    When I worked for a Deere dealer it was standard practice for our shop to rebuild water pumps in house at a set price, which was some cheaper than a Deere reman. Might check on that. There's some options on Ebay also. Kinda depends on the serial number

  3. #3Price2016-03-31 18:25

    Checked on aftermarket rebuild, $235. Kit from Deere(didn't find one aftermarket) $150 which includes impeller. I have a friend that is heavy equipment mx than can help "redress" the pump. So probably going with the kit. I can take it off and put it back on. Thanks for the responses. Will try to post some pics of work.

  4. #4Price2016-04-10 00:51
  5. #5lantraxco2016-04-10 16:10

    Looks like too much fun.... could be worse though, could be raining!

  6. #6partsandservice2016-04-10 17:00

    The blue plastic thing in the kit is the seal installation tool. I heard this not to long ago,". This plastic bushing, I can't figure out where it goes, my old wp did not have one in it maybe that is why it is leaking. ". Me..." That is just the seal installation tool, the directions that came with kit will explain all that once you read it. I bet the directions will even tell you how to set the tolerance on the impeller."

  7. #7Price2016-04-21 14:52

    Back up and running a few days later. No problems. I did see a small seep from where thermostat housing attaches to block. Tightened bolts very little and seepage stopped.