Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many northern BC loggers stayed home today?

BDFT ยท 2012-01-18 12:09

-38C this morning at 2:00 am. The key in my pickup is so stiff it won't turn. At least, I think that's the problem. Either way, it won't start. Called my truckers and told them they weren't getting loaded this morning. I think the only guy left in the bush today is the processor operator but I think he lives in his machine anyway. I imagine there is more than a few northern BC loggers sitting at home this morning. Things break too easily at these temperatures. BTW, -47C in Watson Lake yesterday and -57C in Lower Post. Its supposed to warm up to -25 and snow by Friday.

Replies13
  1. #1CRAFT2012-01-18 13:41

    I DID ! ........... It was -39C here too ......... BTW .... you boys south of the 49th that temp is about where C & F are the same .... " TOO FRIGG'N COLD TO MOVE "

  2. #2BDFT2012-01-18 14:49

    Jebus, 100 Mile isn't even very far north. I live a 3 1/2 drive NW of Prince George. Of course, the Caribou is cold country and I hear the bums are freezing down in Vancouver today.

  3. #3CRAFT2012-01-18 21:08

    Well we are about 3 1/2 hrs north of the 49th And we are 3250ft elevation, another stupid trivia fact is that hwy 97 is the longest hwy on the planet (starting in Alaska going down to the southern most tip of South America)...and 15 min south of the Hundred is 83 Mile/ Begbie Summit Which IS THE HIGHEST Elevation point on HWY 97. AND Does it not Look GOOD ON THE BUMS TOO !!..... LMFAO .....Cheers

  4. #4cutting edge2012-01-19 01:41

    LOL.....they were all bailing out as I was heading in,trucks with trailers up,pickups heading straight to the bars,the chatter on the radio was pretty funny today. -41 celcius when this doctor showed up on the claim today with about a 20 km/h wind ....makes you feel alive....

  5. #5alco2012-01-19 11:06

    You guys do realize that the windchill isn't the actual temperature.......right?

  6. #6BDFT2012-01-19 11:52

    I wasn't talking about windchill. The wind here doesn't start until noon or so. By then its warmed up to -30. The wind doesn't lower the temperature below the ambient air temperature, it just cools things off faster and makes it feel colder. I don't like feeling colder than -30.

  7. #7CRAFT2012-01-19 11:55

    WOW !! ....... REALLY !! ...... Huhhhh !! ....... living over 40 years here never Knew THAT !!! ...... Duhhhh ...... I guess that you also knew that a thermometer does not reflect wind chill factor formulas either .... ehhhhhhhhhh ! .......LOL ....These were ACTUAL Temps not a it might be because Temp ...... This morning it's around-30C .... WITH NO wind chill Factor ....LMFAO ......:canada

  8. #8alco2012-01-20 00:14

    I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. I just brought it up because the lowest recorded temp in Lower Post that day was about 10 degrees warmer, figured you were including wind chill. We had it good right about then, we only got down to -34 or so, but the windchill was -47, and you have no idea how many people were going around claiming it was -47......LOL.

  9. #9CM19952012-01-20 07:24

    Actually the HWY stops in Panama at the Darien Gap. You have to take a ferry to Columbia or Ecuador. There is a "no-mans" land between Panama and Columbia where the Pan American HWY just stops in the jungle. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/PanAmericanHwy.png http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway I have driven parts of the Pan American in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama. Might as well attempt a thread hijack, it's in the 60's F here today.

  10. #10CRAFT2012-01-20 22:37

    LOL ...like I said Stupid trivia ....LOL When it's this cold there are NO bugs and it kills alot of future bug larvy ...... like the beastly Pine beetles

  11. #11CM19952012-01-20 23:19

    Every now and then I get to use my vast knowledge of useless information.

  12. #12CRAFT2012-01-21 01:01

    You mean like : Even though the Moon is 1/3 the size of the Earth ....it's just as far away?....LOL

  13. #13furpo2012-01-27 00:55

    or that there are no pedals on a menstral cycle