Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many of those do you need?

Speedpup ยท 2009-03-01 17:17

Well my usual trip to Sears with the other half and she ask every time I buy some tools the above question. There is always something to buy I guess some of you guys have about it all after years of this. So how many tools do you have? I have some for my race car and then a set in my Dodge dooley tailored to my equipment. I went to buy a 9/16" Sears wrench the helper dropped into the boom of the machine which won't be out for a while. Six point was 8 bucks or a whole set 11-12 pieces for 29. So how could I buy just one for 8? Then there was another set of sockets on sale for 20 so I grabbed them too.:Banghead I was going to get a set of swivel sockets for 60 but I said wait till someone pays ya to myself. But I did get the small 1/4. 3/8. and 1/2 adaptors to go in a socket for tight clearances for 10 bucks. ointhead New ballpeen hammer to smack my cylinders:bash Never seems to end.:Banghead

Replies7
  1. #1swampdog2009-03-01 18:30

    Well, my wife keeps on buying groceries so I have to keep on buying tools. Have you ever brought a new tool home and gone to put it away in the tool chest only to see the last one just like it that you bought a few months ago but forgot that you bought it? Happens to me all the time.

  2. #2surfer-joe2009-03-01 18:55

    I have a couple of thousand tools stashed in two rollaways with top chests, and numerous other smaller tool boxes, wooden boxes, plastic boxes, and truck boxes all packed full, with some tools just plain thrown into the garage closets. I spend about as much time looking for a certain tool anymore as I actually do using the dern thing. In fact, I've been known recently to give up in disgust looking for that special tool and went uptown where I bought another one just to save myself the time. I don't use my tools enough anymore to remember where each one is at, but I used to. Now I know that my son has lost well over a thousand of my tools rebuilding go-carts and jet boats or tuning his cars. They just never seem to return to their proper storage space when he's done with them. He also inherited my dad's tools, which are now blended in with mine, and I suppose he will eventually get them all, though I don't know what he will do with 150 pounds of 1" drive sockets and and another hundred pounds of combination wrenches up to 2 5/8ths. Then there is my porta-power set up with cylinders to 50 ton capacity. Not much call for the heavy stuff in his line of work repairing and setting up computers and information systems. I did notice the other day that he was using my 3/4" impact gun to hold the small garage door open though. So there is some hope.... I wander the tool racks at Sears and Home Depot just to see what's new these days, though I rarely buy anything. There are many new tool designs out that are easier to use and safer, but they don't do a better job than what I already have. I did purchase a Chinese made hose reel and a clamping work table this last month. Sorry quality though, really cheaply constructed, but then again, it's not like they will get used more than a few times a month. Still, one can't find these items made in America these days. A mechanic never gets rid of his tools. I learned that 37 years ago.

  3. #3Red Bank2009-03-01 21:21

    I don't think you can have too many tools, I have always had to have two sets, one for work, the other for home. After 21 years of turning wrenches I have slowed down on buying tools. The good thing is that if I go to Sears with my wife, she combs the aisles looking for tools for me to buy:drinkup. But, of course, after 15 years together I realize she does it so I can't complain about her purchases Don't tell her I know that:drinkup

  4. #4EZ TRBO2009-03-02 06:45

    I've got a full set in a roll away box, plus a top chest full for work. Then my work truck has just what I need as far as sockets and wrenches go(1/4 to 1/2), if I need bigger things I'm usually not too far away from one of our plants to get what I need, that and the crushing crews carry alot of big stuff. At home I have a nice Cresent set for just jobs around the house. Never have too many tools, kinda works well when the wife buys new shoes(and already has plenty) I can get more tools that I need. Trbo

  5. #5greywynd2009-03-02 10:01

    Have to admit, SWMBO has a good attitude about me buying tools. I don't overdo it (at any one time) and she's good with it. She knows they keep, don't wear out, rust etc, and they hold their value, plus give me extra value...I can fix things when and as needed.

  6. #6Speedpup2009-03-02 12:12

    She really doesn't care if I buy them. The older my equipment gets the more tools I need. I keep nipping away at new things every few weeks. No kids so I guess my Godson gets them.

  7. #7Knucklehead2009-03-02 22:26

    How many do I need? ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :usa