Firefighters? Either volunteer or have done/ still are firefighters? I'm just wondering because i am one my self. and if u are one where at if u dont mind me askin. I would make a poll but dont know how to. im from cecil vfd #3 station 10
I have been a Volunteer Fire Fighter for 9 years now. I am also a First Responder on the Rescue team. :usa You might also find interest in this thread. :thumbsup
14 years as a volunteer.
Volunteer Firefighter, First Responder, Certified Emergency Manager, Swiftwater Rescue Tech, Chief of the SAR Team. Most fun I've had since I retired from the Army. Started all this training at the age of 50. Was in the boards a bit ago, then called out for a brush fire, literally just got back.
I worked around many fires as a paid employee or volunteer when I was younger. But I don't care to do it today as have found that I'm allergic to wood smoke.
volunteer firefighter 4 years
volly wading through the BS for 7 years
Volunteer firefighter for 7 years now and a first responder for 4 years now. Just wish I had more time do volunteer and be as involved as I once was, but work has been booming so that is where I spend my time.
Volunteerism I was a volunteer fireman for many years and now hold a life membership, although I haven't been in the firehall for years. I was a volunteer EMT for 10 years (started back in a971), then let it go for 10 years. A buddy and I decided to take the challenge test(with a quick refresher course first) and we were both EMTs again. 10 more years and I let it go in 2002....... Most enjoyable was being a volunteer in Civil Air Patrol (well some of it was enjoyable, anyway). I learned to fly and got some good flying in, met Digger242 there, and remain close friends. Thats probably the best part, short of the feeling that a volunteer gets when he really makes a positive mark on someones life........ :usa
Volunteer F/F since '79, did an EMS stint for about 7 years.
i have been one for like a yr and a half. I love it, theres no other feeling in the world. Its such a rush running into a burning building, not knowing what your going into if theres ppl in there. i dont know about me but i get a satisfaction knowing i helped save someones life, when they needed help at the most. i dont know exactly how to put that but im sure you guys sorta catch my drift? i love it just as much as machines . If i dont do escavating as a career i wana be a fireman.
Volly here Trying to get on the job in Jersey City
5 year volly Fire Fighter/rescue tech:drinkup
Career Retired WORKED FOR 15 YEARS IN CHESTER CITY:Banghead {A LITTLE GHETTO JUST SOUTH OF PHILLY} HIRED WHEN I WAS 18 OUT WHEN I WAS 33.. LOOKED INTO VOLLYING AT MY LOCAL STATION .. TOO MANY CLICKS POLITICS AND JUST STRAIGHT UP B.S.
You being a new member, this is an FYI.....posting in all caps is not allowed. :wink2 You being in the Fire Dept for 15 years......I congradulate you. :usa
Ooops my bad thanks........
Has-been Volunteer Firefighter. Hi, Folks. I was a volunteer firefighter for a rural fire brigade South Of Newcastle, New South Wales, DownUnder, for 6 years from 1986 - 1993, 3 of those as a deputy captain. I gave it up when I moved from there interstate to an area where I was too far from a fire station to be able to respond to first call fire calls. Different work circumstances played a part in that choice too. All members of rural (Bush) fire brigades in New South Wales at that time were unpaid volunteers and I think they are still unpaid. A BIG CountryBoy cheer to all those who have served or are still serving.
YEE-HAW! :drinkup
1st Warning... YEEHAW is in all caps...not acceptable...:drinkup :wink2
Posting in all caps is considered yelling, when typing. In this case I was yelling.....at the top of my lungs for that matter. :cool2
volunteer firefighter 5 years
As soon as I finish my hours I will be the 5th generation on my dads side of the fam to be a pilot. MY great grandpa was a barn stormer
Paid firefighter, Oklahoma City, 18 years.
I was a volly for 8 years then moved out of the district. I have been on swiftwater/dive team for about 12 years.
Volly here, FF/EMT 3rd Asst. Chief, went through the Fire Academy in FL, so I have the qualifications to work as a FF in FL if I got my EMT there I would be eligible to test most places.
Vol FF for 6 years now, 60 member dept. 8 trucks operating out of one station. Ave call total per year is around 80. Have loved every min of it and look forward to more.!! Trbo
Volly for 10 years and part time paid for 6. I hold FF2, EMT-B, Inspector, ATO, Instructor, Investigator, Hazmat Tech, and Rope rescue tech. My fulltime job is a field service mechanic
bstiles what fd are you with?
Was vol. from 18 till late 30tys or early 40tys
I was a volunteer for 11 years, i was Safety Officer for 2 years and 1st Assistant Chief for the last 3.5 years. Got tired of the BS and time away from family, started to effect me financially too with all the meetings with surrounding towns, town board meetings and county meetings. Too much political back stabbing, in house bickering and i didnt volunteer my wallet when i joined up. I take my hat off to those who still do it and i fully support all Firefighters and EMT personel.
Well said, I almost walked away this spring for just these reasons, espescially the political back stabbing, it's amazing what you have to deal with to volunteer your time to help people, I like being an officer, but the BS gets worse the further you progress in the ranks.....
I'm a volunteer firey in Australia. Small rural brigade, with a small 4wd pumper and a 4wd truck firefighter
volunteer rural fire brigade for two years
Volunteer dept here. I have been on for about 9 years and LT. for the last two. We do about 125 calls per year. We see mostly auto alarms, with the occasionally car accident or car fire. We see structure fires about once a year, but mostly through mutual aid. 82 Mack pumper 92 Mack pumper 2003 pierce pumper (great truck, even though I like Macks) 2001 F550 brush truck with a service body
volunteer chief of drycreek fire st. bpvfd # 3 spend most of my time on scene running pumps , leave all the entry making to the younger ones ..... webpage ... http://bpvfd3.org .. my son who wanted to become a jr. about 6 years ago could only become involved in the exicersises if I was also a member , so I joined for him , now he just turned 18 , and has many more certifications than I do , and is going to start his ff2 as soon as he graduates , and willl try to persue that carreer .. " what we do for our kids "
Vol. FF for 5 years, had to stop when i moved to an all paid district
3 year volley fire put-er outer
I was a FF, First responder, hazmat responder for 6 years, and my life, body and other things dictated that it was time for me to give it up. i miss it and you cant beat FF's as a group of people
Looks like a patern of people who like playing with iron and fire both!! I did around 4 years VFD when I was younger. Loved it! Being a rural area I wasn't part of the social group and a few of the officer judged me by the company I kept so ended up leaving about a year before the chief of 35 years did.
paid tulsa,ok 23yrs.
22 years in career department
Gday all, I have been a VFF for about 17 years and was asked to take over the Fire Control Officer position from my father for this area, but the litigation that you are exposed to here in West Aust. if something goes wrong turned many people away, including me. I still will take my equipment and help out but thats it. I know that it may sound selfish to decline the responsibility but I cannot afford to be exposed to that sort of risk. It will be interesting to see what will happen in the future to the VFFB as many people here are taking the same approach as me. Maybe the most disturbing facter might be having no-one in charge and we all know what sort of a mess things get in then.
asst chief and first responder, small department average 50 calls year, mostly grass fires and medical. Do get tired of the same people in the department are always the ones that do everything. Takes a lot of time but the only retirement plan I have, will pay $300 a month in 24 years might fill the pickup up with gas once a month. Do enjoy it and am thankful for those that give their time.
Fulltime, 11 years and counting. I.A.F.F. L3888
I used to be a volunteer fire fighter but gave it up when I changed careers and got too busy to devote the time. Between meetings, training, accidents, and fires, it took a lot of time and offered very little reward. I'm glad others are keeping up the good work. As an ex smoker, I must say that the smoke bothered me - not the smoke at the fires, but the smoke at the training sessions and meetings. Most of the volunteers smoked like chimneys. Compared to the air in the fire hall, the air at the fires was real good.
Volunteer FF/EMT 5 years Lycoming County PA www.station14.org