Hi, I have a 1980 JD550, I was wondering how much one of these machines would be worth in good running order. Ours I think need new steering clutches so I am trying to figure out if it would be worth fixing it, the machine it self runs great just we think the steering clutches are gone. Any help would be great. Thanks
Is there an adjustment for your steering brakes?
There is suppose to be but the only problem is we dont have a manuel so we are not sure were it is. We are talking to a guy that works on older john deer stuff like this and he is going to come and take a look some time.
We have a slightly newer 450G. The access holes for the adjusters are in the back on the side of the body - just above the tracks. It's a round plug. You take it out and there is a toothed adjustment wheel and a lever- It works exactly like the star adjuster on a rear drum brake on a pick up. I think the clutches aren't for steering, there is a band around the unit that calmps down when you apply the brake. Don't worry, someone that actually knows will probably chime in.
Maybe this'll help. They talk about the 550.
Wow, awesome help Rob!!
Thanks Most here try to help out when they can. It's a very cool website.
Yeah, Thanks alot!
like they say, pictures are worth a thousand words..
I worked on a 550A dozer once, but only on the transmission. They had a weak tranny, that part I remember. I recall someone saying there was a small pressure hose in each steering clutch compartment that actuated the clutch, and these hoses could fail. There was something unusual about the set-up too. It was a few years ago, so I'm not sure. I didn't quite get whether one or both of your clutches were failing to release or it was a brake issue on one side or the other. I still have the service manual. I'm guessing $5K as is and $10-$12K working good with good tracks. Phil
On those older 550's , steering clutch problems and transmission problems usually go hand in hand... if one fails, the other is usually close behind.. Those transmissions are very sensitive to contaminants and are ridiculously labor intensive to repair..then theres the cost of parts...The transmission and steering clutches share oil, so wear metal travels everywhere. The cost of parts for a transmission problem usually is far more than the complete machine is worth, especially at that age. If you are needing to adjust the brake excessively, many times its due to the brake material falling off of the brake band, and then you get metal to metal wear and subsequent transmission failure.
Yes I remember the parts were extremely expensive. Also if the tranny clutch pressure is low, the machine really won't go anywhere. I think there is a dash gauge, check the transmission pump pickup screen for plugging. Brake material will plug it. It can be removed though the right side of the transmission housing, and can be unsoldered for cleaning, then re-silver soldered back together. The tranny shaft seals will wear, loosing pressure, but the grooves can be machined wider for double seals. There is an updated seal. Getting the tranny out is very, very, labor intensive. Phil