Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D65E-6

Racenitro ยท 2009-10-25 08:52

I am looking at a D65E-6 1977 model. Starts well, moves in all speeds but will not turn. Has a leak under the belly pan Blade hydraulics works properly...Mechanic says the steering clutches are not releasing.....looking for possible sources for the leak.... might it require pulling engine to fix..if so, not interested in purchasing it... New to this size of machine...but not Dozers. backhoes, large farm tractors and more....needing this size to clear a mile of fence rows on farm....Thanks in advance...

Replies2
  1. #1bucknbc2009-10-25 14:06

    Hi, I have 2 of the same. They are great machines. The steering pump is mounted on the front of the flywheel housing LHS,(sitting in machine) the filter is under the floor panel under your left foot. There is a plug on the top of the filter housing, either1/8 pipe ,or-6 o-ring boss. If you can get a press. gauge (1000psi,4-500??? sytem press)great, if not just leave the plug loose (or out(messy)) and crank the engine over. It may just need bleeding or if the pump doesnt pick the oil up,it could be a suction leak. The suction screen is on the bottom front of the steering case (remove belly pan ). One of my machines always looses its prime and I have to pour oil into the pump to help it out,remove top line and pour a bit in. Its an easy machine to work on,good luck .

  2. #2Racenitro2009-10-25 21:52

    Thanks for the response. My first problem is to determine where the leak is..... I have a feeling that if the leak is fixed, it will correct the steering problem. I don't want to purchase it and find out that the steering parts need replacing..am told they are VERY expensive.... I probably will revisit the dozer(it is 160 miles away) on wednesday and drop the belly pans and try and locate the leak.