Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much aggregate in my MONSTER fill pile?

minibin ยท 2012-12-16 22:22

I am in the process of taking over a piece of heavy industrial land in an urban area. On the site there is a pile of fill that has been estimated at 480,000 truck loads. My question is most people see the pile as a liability but it has been tested and is clean.. But i am trying to find some value in the pile as it greatly affects my decision to use the land. The current opperation is a landscape supply yard and there is an excavator and screener on site. This is totally out of my element so I need some ideas. I plan on running a supply yard on the location but need more space, so i need to deal with some of the pile. This is in a very urban area >as for the market for material if I can find value in the pile.

Replies5
  1. #1lumberjack2012-12-17 00:27

    480,000 truck loads? That's a rather obscure measurement. In context, 480k yards would cover 10 acres near 30' deep. While you do have a pile of dirt, it's not anywhere near 480k yards based on what I see.

  2. #2BlazinSS9342012-12-17 09:58

    Well who said its clean ? The seller? I would have the stockpile tested with a grid matrix of the sample points so you can get a real handle on what is in there. Because you could have scrap metal, concrete blocks brick, old footings etc all hiding under there. Taking a core sample with a Geoprobe will enable you to grab samples for analysis and let you classify it for disposal. Be careful giving away "free clean fill" I did a job in Newburgh NY where the contractor back filled 40,000 yards at a school with free fill and after the started laying down the AstroTurf the samples came back with lead asbestos and SVOC as well as trichloroethane. Needless to say my boss made a ton of money cleaning up someone else's mistake/shortcut Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3Hendrik2012-12-18 19:44

    If it has been certified clean, then I would suggest you get on the phone to local businesses that may require fill at some stage. Also free local online ads are the go.

  4. #4grandpa2012-12-18 21:46

    Unless your in a sandy area like I am..... I discard alot of sand every year just to get the rock.

  5. #5dirtfan2012-12-30 15:29

    From what I see in the picture, there is some value in what is visible. 1) I see a bunch of boulders, which are valuable for landscaping purposes. 2) I see piles of dirt covered and a screening machine, which means that they is probably some topsoil, which has value. 3) If the terrain in the area is relatively flat, compactable fill dirt can be somewhat hard to find and have some value, on the other hand, if you are in a hilly area, fill dirt can be found in any hillside and can be a liability. BlazinSS394 has a good question about who said it was clean, make sure that lab tests have been run and you get copies of the lab reports, if you are unsure about what is covered up in the pile, rent an excavator and dig some test pits to visually confirm what is there. Lumberjack has a good question also about the quantity. If you use a single axle dump truck, as a measure, which can haul about 5 cu yds max, that would equate to (2,400,000 cu yds). This sounds a little overestimated to me for a stockpile. It wouldn't cost a lot to hire a surveyor to do a little research and also do a topo of the pile to determine the actual quantity. One last question would be, (what was the original ground topo like and how long has the stockpile been accumulating?). I have worked a lot of import / export dirt jobs over the years and these are questions that we always ask. Just some food for thought..... DIRTFAN