Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much can I expect to spend on rails and pads for an old 977H?

Schmity ยท 2011-06-25 23:57

Old machine. Only gave 7K for the whole machine. Had the machine approx 10yrs and have spent another 4-5K on repairs during that time. It has good rollers and rings. It's just an occasional use machine. Just wondering what it would cost for a new set of rails and pads and whether it is worth it or not?

Replies12
  1. #1fredb2011-06-27 00:13

    [QUOTE=Schmity;305850]Old machine. Only gave 7K for the whole machine. Had the machine approx 10yrs and have spent another 4-5K on repairs during that time. It has good rollers and rings. It's just an occasional use machine. Just wondering what it would cost for a new set of rails and pads and whether it is worth it or not?[/QUOTE] May I join you, Schmity, and ask: Could somebody tell me where I could get a decent quality set (977 H) for a decent price?

  2. #2Komatsu 1502011-06-27 07:49

    Hard to know if it's worth it for you or not for an occasional use machine. How worn are the rails and bushings and sprockets? Are the bushings broken and the sprocket worn to nothing? If not at that point and if you can keep the tracks adjusted, you might as well run until it won't move anymore. You're not going to hurt much and the rails will easily run way past 100% worn. Pad wear is pretty meaningless on a track loader unless they're worn so bad the shoes are bending.

  3. #3mitch5042011-06-27 10:59

    PM our member "quiktrax", I have dealt with him and been well satisfied.

  4. #4fredb2011-06-28 02:30

    Thank you for your time, Komatsu.

  5. #5fredb2011-06-28 02:46

    Thank you for your response, Mitch. How exactly would I go about this, it is all new to me? (This computer-work) And what is meant by the word "Title" on the form I'm writing on?

  6. #6mitch5042011-06-28 23:54

    This is what it looks like when you type in the title line. I think it will work if you click this link to PM him. If it doesn't work, click "community" at the top of the page, click "member list", click "Q", goto page 2, click "quicktrax"; that'll bring up his profile, you can PM him from there. Here is his website: http://www.bulldozertracks.com/ He really helped me with some Cat undercarriage once. good Luck, Mitch

  7. #7QuickTrax2011-06-29 07:50

    Mitch, I appreciate the kind words. Schmity, I am showing your machine to take the old D7 chain w/ a 3/4 bolt hole and 18" pads. A fair price anywhere you go would be around 4k per track group. Of course, if you could reuse your pads you would be looking at saving a significant amound of money. Long ago their were a couple of track shops in W. Texas. I don't know if they are still around or not. Thanks, QuickTrax

  8. #8JBGASH2011-06-29 20:33

    I have a 1999 953C trackloader. What would a complete set of tracks cost ?

  9. #9Komatsu 1502011-06-30 07:19

    A fr

  10. #10fredb2011-07-01 03:28

    Tiping trouble Thank you, Mitch504, for filling me in.....I guess, it would be easier to understand if, instead of "Title", it would say: Subject, wouldn't it?

  11. #11bunkclimber2011-10-26 08:02

    Handy with a welder? go to your local steel dealer and order 65pcs of 3/4"thick X 1" flat bar..then weld flat bar to the old track pads to make your own grousers..you don't even have to replace the bolts,do it right on the machine.Weld in short 1"length passes,alternate sides then come back and fill in the gaps and finish. There are re-grousering materials that will last a lot longer than regular steel,but it doesn't get any cheaper than that for a farm use machine.You can even weld up the bushings if they get too worn to function,trick is to get to them before they get totally worn thru..you can lay down weld on top of the worn areas and then grind to match the existing profile of the bushings on the track..did this for my old 977 and its worked out great.

  12. #12fredb2011-10-28 00:45

    re-grousering tracks Thank you for your thoughts, bunkclimer. Years ago they used to weld up rollers (after disassembly), wonder whether it is still being done.....