Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

largest stump yet for my 450

stumpjumper83 ยท 2011-06-24 20:33

One huge old katalpa stump bits the dust thanks to a deere 450c trackloader... and an hour and a half. I'd have had it flipped in about an hour but it was bumping my radiator shroud when i had it lifted up. Too much weight to just get under and curl. Had to spin it some and rock it out with the bucket teeth. Link to pic... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596283562#!/profile.php?id=596283562&closeTheater=1

Replies17
  1. #1boone2011-06-25 09:38

    That's a monster stumpjumper! Was it a storm victim?

  2. #2stumpjumper832011-06-25 10:36

    had to remove it to make way for some property renovations at a townhouse by dad owns... A week ago I had my tree climber cut all the upper wood off it and was plannin on just grinding the stump, but dad insisted on removin the stump and it wiggled just a little when i bumped it with the loader so I thought I could get it out.

  3. #3bigT052011-06-25 13:54

    hydro pump probs hi im a new user here and was wondering if u had had any probs with your hydro pump? i have a jd 350B and something has happened with the pump. bucket wont go up or curl up. any suggestions? Thanks, Tim

  4. #4stumpjumper832011-06-25 15:45

    well if the 350 is the same as a 450 there is a hydraulic filter in front of the radiator, try changing that first. Mine is the same as the engine oil filter. The hydraulic pump is in front of the radiator as well, it bolts to the front of the crank. Another thing to check is that your spools are functioning correctly, they are located under the right arm rest.

  5. #5franklinute2011-06-28 07:17

    Hey that's is a real nice stump. I own a JD450C and have pushed some stumps up almost that big. What will you do with it now just roll it out of the way? Isn't it amazing on a large tree how the roots spread out and really don't go very deep? I have an attachment for my 450 we call a scoop blade that cuts roots out leaves most of the dirt in the ground and makes it easier than a bucket to push trees out. bigTO5 - I used to own a 350 also there may be a filter by the radiator. Also check to be sure the pump is turning. There is a splined shaft with a splined coupler that connects the front of the crank to the hydro pump. I have seen these wear out.

  6. #6jrtraderny2011-06-28 15:13

    If the loaders are the same as the dozers, I can guarantee you that the splined pump coupling is shot. jr

  7. #7Kap4502011-06-28 23:10

    Great job getting that big one out. I also have a 450 and have recently ran into a couple of problems with it. I cannot get it to run for more then about 5 minutes. I was using it the other day and it died. Once I got it started again it would only run for about 5 minutes and doesn't seem to run at full power. I have changed fuel filters and primed it to get rid of air. It was very hrd to start then repeated the same of running for 5 minutes and dying.Any ideas?

  8. #8sultan2011-06-28 23:25

    Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. Have you checked: -Bottom of fuel tank (dirt collects there) -Screens in banjo fittings -Screen at bottom of fuel tank (some machines have screens there; I don't know whether or not the 450 has one)

  9. #9Kap4502011-06-28 23:37

    I will check the tank tomorrow. What are banjo fittings?

  10. #10franklinute2011-06-29 08:25

    Kap450 - There is a sediment/water collector at the bottom of the tank. You should be able to access it from the back of the machine be removing a shield that has two bolts. There are several other places that can slow fuel flow. I would begin at the fuel pump fuel line and if fuel flow weak then start tracing backwards. Loosen the fuel cap it may not be venting properly. Of course check the filter. If you have the glass filter then wipe it off and check for contaminants. The fuel tank shutoff valve which you can get to under the seat could be clogged. Also check for any crushed or kinked fuel lines.

  11. #11stumpjumper832011-06-29 14:34

    frank, i dont know about his, but my 450 runs a non vented cap...

  12. #12franklinute2011-06-30 08:14

    stumpjumper - you are right I think mine has a nonvented cap also. When I refuel and the cap is tight after the first turn I can hear air whistling in. But somehow as the fuel goes down the air has to come in from somewhere right?

  13. #13fozman692012-05-23 10:53

    pretty big stump.ran my 450c two days ago and now it wont start . when i push the starter button nothing happens not even a click.

  14. #14wosama931b2012-05-23 15:59

    Hi there, If you get a click, that is a weak or coroated post or low charge or the cellnoid, when you suddenly here nothing, that is dead battery or wire messed up, or some one lifted your battery last night. I'am no expert on jd's, but my cat had loose wireing at the starter and at first i though bad starter, if yours wires have some tape on they, Ck them out, good luck.

  15. #15wosama931b2012-05-23 16:21

    Stumpjumper83, Great job on the stump, what are your planning to do with it? are you going to put it on a truck? Have fun.

  16. #16srs_mn2012-08-08 18:11

    450's and 350's all have a vent for the fuel tank... it is a tube, just under the fuel cap, that runs through the tank and out the bottom. Most times they get plugged up with junk from Mud Dauber Wasps that pack them full... run a stiff wire through them to clean them out.... tank must be vented to work.

  17. #17wannabe2012-08-12 11:39

    I know this may be late, but the 450c has a nuetral safety switch that may be giving you some trouble, this comes from having been there and done that .hope this helps.