I looked at a used John Deere excavator today, how much is to much play in the boom pin and bucket pin? I was by myself so only could watch the movements, I would guess the bucket pin when you lift it off the ground or let it down and put weight on it was .375" play. The lower boom pin appears to have at least .250" play while looking through the side window. The machine is a 2005 with 3300 hours. This seems a liitle much for that few hours, to me. Would like you opinions, and thanks for them.
Are you sure you're measuring it right? That is way too much play, especially for a machine with so few hours. The owners must never have ever greased it for it to become that bad at just 3300 hours. But then, my own excavator's main bucket pin at the end of the stick was getting close to your range (9.7mm play I measured) in the state when I first bought it. Play should be roughly a tenth of an inch (2-3mm) or less. How big is the machine? That also affects the play specs somewhat.
Sorry, I meant to add it was a 120C. I was alone and didn't have anyway to be in two places at once. All I could do was watch when I took the pressure off and how much slack there was. It sure seemed a lot to me and if that is worn what else has not been greased or taken care of.
Yup. I would not bee too extremely worried about the pin and busing wear if the price was right but the swing bearing is a major job. If the did not car for the bucket pins you know the did not care for the swing bearings. Check that machine over really close before buying. At 3300 hours it should still all be tight. JJ