Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How NOT to haul a long boom excavator

willie59 ยท 2012-01-06 20:08

Really! Customer rented our extended reach Daewoo. Their driver rolled in the lot, I looked at boss, said "if he puts that long boom on that tag trailer, I'm getting a picture!" It's one thing to have 15' of boom hanging off the rear, and going to drive 40 miles into the Smoky Mountains, but the 14' 7" height was a bit more of a problem. Driver called his boss, told him how things fitted, his boss told him to come back for lowboy trailer. Wise choice to remedy faulty plan A.

Replies24
  1. #12stickbill2012-01-06 22:13

    Wish I had a photo of every want to be heavy hauler I have seen pull stunts like this.Yea and go down the road with it.

  2. #2mitch5042012-01-06 23:30

    Looks like he'd of had trouble w/ sharp turns, too.

  3. #3cjplanthire2012-01-08 16:03

    i saw the first picture and i went wtfffffffffffffff, then i scrolled down and i started laughing!

  4. #42stickbill2012-01-08 20:00

    Well I have seen equipment being tied down with straps not chains.Seen a chain run through the cab.A Cat grader rocking back a forth about two foot chained wrong.Seen one with the chain run over the blade circle.Seen a rental come in one day the driver run the chain through the operators station.Manager told him if I ever see that again you will never haul for us again.

  5. #5willie592012-01-08 21:06

    Aye, I think we've all seen "are you kidding me!" chain down jobs 2stick. Ya know, the thing that REALLY gets me is to see an experienced low boy driver haul any excavator and have the arm tucked in and boom lowered and resting on a block underneath the bucket cylinder bending the cylinder rod. A driver will really get a tongue lashing from me doing that.

  6. #6buckfever2012-01-09 19:47

    Give him a little credit. At least he called his boss and told him this wasn't going to work. I know a few people that would have just drove away and hoped for the best.

  7. #7willie592012-01-09 20:59

    Granted, does deserve credit for not being a total dumb arse. But, what baffles me is loading it in the first place. I mean, drive on yard, get out, look at short little tag trailer, then look at long boom on excavator, right then I would think a driver would be able to surmise "Houston...we have a problem"

  8. #82stickbill2012-01-09 22:09

    Yes I have seen that too.I used to work with a Haul Truck Driver would raise all kinds of heck if you touched a chain are boomer.He wanted to do it by him self.I didn't blame him either.

  9. #9Dualie2012-01-10 00:21

    i have seen a lot in my days on this planet but just plain old stupid will never cease to amaze me.

  10. #10JTL2012-01-10 00:31

    Looks like that zoom boom forklift is in position to lift the power lines outta the way!

  11. #11Heavy D2012-01-10 01:40

    If it falls off keep on going. Can't fix stupid!

  12. #12OldandWorn2012-01-10 05:36

    That's gotta be a lot of tongue weight there.

  13. #13Dozerboy2012-01-10 19:02

    I'm sure the boss said go a head and load it up to see how it fits. When I drive a hate getting help chaining down. We do emergency fire demos and have 1hr to be on site after the call about the fire. 2 of our guys beat me to the yard so they loaded the hoe and chained it down. 1 of them is pretty stupid but the other has driven a lowboy some. They had 4 chains on the track corners, but they where all pulling the same direction. So they where all pulling the hoe to the passenger side and I didn't notice until I had started to pull out of the yard. On my walk around I had noticed the ones not pulling the way I normally put them one, but not that the others weren't pulling against them.

  14. #14handtpipeline2012-01-10 21:45

    I always cross chain the tracks on excavator or dozer or sideboom. I buy 24' chains so they are long enough.

  15. #15pp13bnos2012-01-10 21:58

    There are very few people I trust to hook up and chain down any equipment. And any more, no one does it for me. When I was probably 18 or so, I was towing a Lx885 skidsteer on a trailer behind a ford 1 ton. A low boy driver (brother on the owner of the company I work for.) hooked it up and chained it down. I didn't inspect his work. That was my fault completely. I was only pulling the LX maybe 5 miles or so. No big deal until I went over a set of elevated RR tracks. The trailer came off of the ball, and the only thing that saved me was the safety chains. After coming to a stop, and cleaning out my pants I found that the knuckle head put a trailer with a 2 5/16" hitch onto a 2" ball. I was only doing about 5-7mph on a old country road, but it was a good lesson.

  16. #16rezod12012-01-13 13:59

    Ha Ha I was just in Jamaica on vacation and saw a dump truck with a tag trailer hauling a rubber tired backhoe, funny part was the trailer was just big enough to have the tires on it. there were no chains or straps securing the machine, just a skinny jamaican sitting in the seat with both feet holding the brake and both hands had a death grip on the steering wheel. I should have had the taxi follow him to the scene of the crash for a safety photo opportunity!! wow As far as chaining down, we just use a heavy ratchet binder on each track corner to the outside of the lowboy trailer and a chain across the boom. easy quick way to secure the machine.

  17. #17SVP2012-01-15 22:06

    The hauler should have known what trailer to bring at the first place, well at least he should ask what he's going to haul to arrange a correct trailer.

  18. #18fiatallisguy2012-01-23 23:41

    I think that this might be a worse way to haul an excavator. this happened a few months ago and that is a railway overpass. very lucky it didn't come down on the cab of the kenworth. The driver now faces many charges and jail time. I don't know how fast he was going but the speed limit there is 80km\h or around 50mph. closed that spot in the hiway for a few days. It is a Deere 240 D

  19. #19rare ss2012-01-24 07:19

    i love those pics got them on an email awhile ago.. to see the dipper ram bent into an S shape is pretty awesome

  20. #20CM19952012-01-24 07:49

    There are more detailed pictures of that accident in this thread - HeavyEquipmentForums

  21. #21fiatallisguy2012-01-24 09:38

    you should have seen it in person, it was pretty wild!!! poor guy is going to loose everything now though, rumor is he bought a truck to do some side work to earn extra money for his farm, now the the rail company and everyone else involved is sueing him for all the expenses, something to the tune of 22 million. and he faces lots of jail time. His trial is coming up soon. At his first hearing he pleaded not guilty. All because he didn't know how to haul a hoe. you kind of want to feel bad for him, but at the same time it is ALL his fault. He was the one who loaded it and he was driving and it was his truck. no one around can figure out why he had it on the way he did.

  22. #22Cat2152012-01-24 15:57

    Wow, think he would have noticed it?

  23. #23jakepedersen2012-01-25 13:04

    Lol yikes... At least it didn't leave the lot. I think we have all seen enough booms stuck under overpasses!

  24. #24bigshow2012-01-25 18:21

    Local fella was hauling a 312C on a tag trailer.......with the dipper stick perpendicular to the trailer, found himself a nice bridge that was about 45 degrees to the road he was on. Put the trailer and hoe on it's side.....managed to drag it about 100 feet under the bridge totaled the 312 and insurance would NOT pay anything.....plus the guy didn't even have a cdl....