Always check the height of your load….
I bet the driver hit the windshield
Easy time to replace ring gear. Is there enough orange vests on the scene? All standing around conjuring deep thoughts of what just took place, Hey Ralph I think at my angle he forgot to kick the boom out what do you think Ralph? I think your right Bob, looks like driver/operator error, seen this before.
I kinda want to see the bridge. There aren't even enough shovels to lean on lol
Must have had it against the step and facing forward to maximize the weight on the drivers, seeing how there's ice on the shoulder. Unfortunately he found out the step raises the height of the boom. Probably would have had similar weight distribution with the blade and boom back and the tracks against the step. When the chain over the boom thing came around, a DOT officer told me it was because an excavator boom bounced up and hit a bridge. Yeah, right. That was probably the driver's story, but who ever heard of a boom bouncing? You know he was overheight and didn't want to admit it.
need pictures of the bridge. I googed and found one I had not seen yet. This first picture is disconcerting, like they ran into a steel wall. Then you go up on the tracks to see the fullness of destruction.
It’s a cn bridge by Saskatchewan Alberta border. My bro was pipeline for the company. They hired a farmer to move that 270 Deere and it didn’t end well
What a waste. Both of them. Dumbasses just can't help themselves.
Can we all take a moment to appreciate the stellar load securement on that 311 Cat? Undercarriage stayed chained to the trailer despite the upperstructure involuntarily leaving.
Darn, I sure wish the picture on the front page of a local paper was on the net. Back in the mid 90's a new Cat D10 was stuck almost vertically under a bridge on the Yellowhead trail a little West of Edmonton. A coal power plant had purchased 4 new D10's. 3 were delivered without any issues. Somebody wasn't paying attention on the 4th one. The ripper shank was installed upside down and they forgot to lower the ripper after loading the Cat on the trailer. The ripper caught the bridge and D10 was a right off. Must have been real fun and a little scary getting it unwedged from under the bridge. Ripped the 5th wheel mount right off the trailer. Driver was in shock. He hit the bridge at about 80kmh (50 mph). Bridge was closed and inspected for structural damage but didn't require complete demolition. I think it might have been a railway bridge but can't remember. Can't forget the pic. though, it was a holy **** moment.
Always the optimist. I love it.
YIKES!!!!!
Just to clear anything up my brother had nothing to do with loading or running that 270
The Construction company I worked for years ago-a driver with a 225 on the lowboy didn't stretch the boom/stick out and just clipped a I-90 overpass. The driver kept going. The boss found out and called DOT/WSP and said anonymously he witnessed another construction company that was just up the road as the one who hit the overpass. He was a real nice guy, honest as the minute is long.
In the '70's, there was a lowboy moving a big IH dozer, TD-24 I think, with the blade forward. It started across a state highway bridge with a steel superstructure and the local butcher truck didn't wait on the other side. The blade snagged a beam and the dozer ended up sitting in the other lane facing the other direction. No one was hurt but the bridge. It was replaced with a wider concrete bridge and fortunately there was an easy detour around it. I don't know how well the dozer and lowboy fared.
Back in my rookie years I was asked to move an excavator from high elevation to another job. It was a long hill so I was keeping the truck and trailer at a slow speed so it was both controllable and didn't heat the brakes. I was also running freight part time in 13/6 trailers and was very conscious of clearance issues and as I was going through a curve I noticed a thick phone cable hanging diagonally across the road that looked low. I slowed to a crawl and sure enough the cable was riding up on the excavator boom. I kept creeping forward until the cable hit the boom cylinder, then I got out and shimmied up the boom and lifted the cable over the cylinder. Got the machine to the next job safely and no one knew the extent I had gone to to make that happen! Never received any training, they just gave me the assignment.
I had just started with a brick company, as manager of mining operations and lost the cabs on two machines, (at overpasses), during my first year there. The first machine was a used 988 loader we were demoing. Hauling it back after a demo, our driver hit a highway overpass. He had loaded the machine backwards, so when it hit, the whole cab ripped loose and folded over the front hydraulic cylinders. He was on a route approved by the state oversize permit office, but it was still considered his fault. A good thing came out of this though, maybe two. We only had an old oilfield float to haul equipment on, and it had a reverse set up on the hitch, where the 5th wheel plate was on the trailer. so, we only had one truck to pull it. Well, the height of the trailer is really what caused the cab to hit. I had been turned down a month before when asking for a new lowboy trailer. The week after the accident, I got approved for a new haul trailer. We also missed out on that loader, but instead we got a brand new Volvo loader for our pit loading. About 2 months after this accident, I had just bought a nice low hour D8L. While being hauled to us, the driver took the cab off at an underpass on the interstate. My boss asked me what that was going to cost us. I told him, "nothing", as the deal was made for us to pay for it when it was delivered. The trucking company had to pay, so we got a whole new cab and new A/C system in the deal. Not a very good way to start my career there, but it all worked out.
There was a similar mishap but he bridge came down and dropped the dozer and lowboy in the little Naches river in 1979. It is on this list here but no cause is listed. I know the cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_state_bridge_failures The pilot car tried to block the pickup and camper but he got past them, and the lowboy driver with the D7 swerved and braked to keep from killing the driver with the overhanging blade corner. The right blade hooked into the bridge steel, and yanked the bridge right off the footing. The pickup kept going and the lowboy and dozer ended up in the river, which is more of a creek at most times.
RR bridges...people just can't figure out they are usually low and built stronger than a highway bridge. Ed
While it's not the same as hitting a bridge Steve's comment makes me think of every time I drive the backhoe up the road. We have a couple wires the go across the road and at least 2 of them look very low. I usually come to a stop and try to lean out the back window to make sure I'll clear them but it always makes me very nervous. After that I try to watch the lines as I go under to see if there is any movement so I can slam on the brakes if needed, though it'd probably be too late. I don't know how tall a trash truck is but it seems at least as tall as the backhoe, so I guess I should be good. If I was smart I'd just start lowering the boom as I pass under them, but I didn't think about that until just this second.
I remember that accident and saw the truck and the dozer in the river that was nearly dry. It was a little longer ride to get home that day.
Yes, at that time the Old River road was still open and you could go across the bridge just west of the accident, across the American River. Then you could run along the river about 6 or 7 mi and get across at the bridge to Boulder cave and camp Rogenunda. That was the detour they set up but the river has washed away that road not far downstream. There's power poles and you can still walk through there but no roadway.
This happened in my town awhile back. Driver was lost and off route. There was a bypass around hays and thought he missed the turn, which was only 100' after getting on interstate, and was hopping on interstate to get back on the highway. http://c141heaven.info/dotcom/jokes/truck_bridge.html
We have 3 145 Linkbelts. All identical spin ace, blades on front. One is a long stick. The guy that moves the gear around for my prep crew, is sometimes called to make a move if I don't need him to haul away, or bring me material. He's great at moving stuff, no screwing around, and he gets it done. He drives a tandem Freightshaker with a 3 axle tag along float. He has moved all 3 machines many times. This time he was taking it across this bridge. He was coming from the other side. Again he had moved the 2 other machines over this bridge many times. Make sure the boom is tucked town tight, no issues. The long stick will go low, but only if you put the blade towards the front of the trailer, and the bucket has a bit more room to go between your tracks. When I say long stick I mean a bit longer than the other 2. Anyway, the old back scratcher got torn down, and a few hydraulic lines got torn off. A month later, one of the owners stopped by on our job to show him the sticker they bought to remind truckers that this machine had the longer stick. Just to rub a bit of salt in the wounded pride.
Funny you would mention that. I worked for the company that bought that D10N, dirt cheap and rebuilt it. It was an awesome machine, and for about 10% of the cost of a new machine. We used parts from some other D10s we had and ended up with what was essentially a brand new machine.
They must have bought it for salvage value. Did they have to change the main frame? I remember someone more knowledgeable looking at the pic. and noticing the frame was twisted about a foot.
My son was driving I87 in Eastern Upstate NY a few years when a rough terrain manlift was inching up as he followed. Wasn't time to catch up & warn the driver, so he hung back. Sure enough, It demolished the manlift. I believe the damage to the highway overpass was minor.
Yes sir, the frame, cab, ROPS, and a bunch of other sheet metal were from donor machines. All the powertrain was brand new though.
Wow. No damages to the engine from the impact? It would make sense someone who already had D10N's with higher hours would purchase it. Kind of like a certified rebuild except just removing and refitting components in a new chassis. Probably saved around $750K over a new machine.
Legal limit for most highways is 13'6". That said, most structures are well over that high, & truckers take advantage of that. I have seen some underpasses signed to indicate actual clearance. One in particular comes to mind is actual 13' 7" I would be very nervous with a 13'6" load passing under on that one. As for your backhoe, mine is something just under 12' high in "transport" position. I would not put it on a trailer in that position.
I'm perplexed. The only damage I see to the dipper is minor at the very top few inches. Hit hard enough to bend the boom & tear the house loose from the carrier, I'd expect a good deal more damage to the dipper stick.
George Connors was loved by all who knew him. Unusually tall, with an easy smile, he was the only house mover in the area. Most of his projects were comparable to some you see documented on History Channel. He had state of the art equipment & used it with a level of skill you wouldn't expect from a woodchuck Vermonter. He once had a LOW budget move. A young couple had bought a little 24' X 48' ranch for $1. It had to be moved. Well over the legal limit in height, 3 times the legal in width, they moved in the middle of the night. Avoiding the main roads, they did it over a series of dirt roads. They built a little deck on the roof to safely stand on. George up top with chain saw, & a few other tools, his son driving, they travelled 25 miles in darkness. The back roads minimized the overhead wires, eliminated the underpasses, mostly tree branches to worry about & none of them big at center of road.
Sil bought a wardcraft home built in clay center ks and it was transported a couple hours west. The 2-3 hr drive by car was 2 days by 28' wide house. I'm pretty sure that company knows every dirt road without overhead wires in the state.