I just heard of this and thought you guys might enjoy it. Happened in Shoreville, Minnesota. Things are none a little differently up here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vljB2xdhhG8 I am not sure I did this right, Hope it works. If it doesn't try Raw Crane Falls Crashes Drops Swimming Pool on House Roof Shoreville, Minnesota.
And thats what insurance is for. Sounds like no one was hurt, well except for some pride.
I'm by far not a crane operator...in fact I've only really started to be around cranes moving them ( a lot...seems like they're made of velcro sometimes lol) in the past year or so. I've ran a RT crane putting boom sections in and lifting counterweights off and on but doesnt it seem obvious that if you're gonna place a pool in the back yard of a house you would at least back up tight against the front of the house? Maybe not be into the throttle so hard?
I wish I could learn not to read the comments on youtube; it only annoys me.
I think that if he was too close to the house, he wouldn't be able to boom down far enough (or too much ).
No kidding. ointhead Probably has a bachelors in communications or business. Tangent Warning. Of the 2011 KU class of aerospace engineers, 35% have been hired 4 years ago it was 100%. Sucks for my buddy, but proves no industry or degree is immune from economic forces. Especially for those just getting their foot in the door.
Any one got a guess on the weight of that tub? I'll start at 1200 lbs. muzy
Nice video. I used to run a Grove tts 870 just like this one. If you notice in the pictures at the end you can see that there's no counterweight installed. The one I ran had up to 18 k of counterweight in three pieces. You have to set the computer for what you have installed. You can also see that he boomed down first with the load, and then started telescoping out the tip sections to reach it. The telescope has two different modes, and the chart with no counterweight is much better if you don't put out the inner sections first, but the outer lighter one's. I also noticed he was using a great big block two parted. The block probably weighs half as much as the pool. The taxi crane/ rental game is tough in that everyone is always in a hurry, a lot of customers aren't used to working with cranes and the expense. So don't mess with putting on the counterweight, don't pull out the block and use the ball, don't get out a tape measure and see exactly how far it is. Hurry up because the meter is running and the customer only wants to spend x dollars. At least no one was hurt, and damage was only to the operators pride, the house, crane, and my insurance rates. The last fiberglass pool I set in March around that size weighed 2800lbs. As far as being into the throttle hard, those are pilot hydraulic controls and it seems like you have to really be into the throttle to run that series smoothly.
one of the comments operator said computer error.... probably too small of crane... or too few counterweights... locked out, shock loaded the boom. that sudden stop could multiply the weight, pulling the crane over... doesn't take a lot when you light. Just a theory .... It's really hard to tell what happened... other than amateur camera man running for cover there is another story on shepherd smith... video shows 2 more cranes onsite for the rescue mission...
I see that a lot of crane companies have gone to a daily rate, instead of the hourly rate... But lack of work could lead to some rate cutting wars... low bids... that translates into git er done to make money... no we don't need the counterweights... AND the famous last words "I stepped it off"... or relies on the paperwork... 1000 pound pool... 50 feet away... What amount of time would it have taken to install counter weights... and a truck to haul them...
Me too! I can't stand the comments from all the armchair operators, and just miserable people in general.
as far as the hurry up and get it set because it cost money happens all to often...workers tryin to git the operator to cut corners in order to get the job done faster, as far as counter weight goes, if i have it with me, and i have to think about it more than a min or two, i put it on....no sense i tryin to push it when it'll only take another 10 - 15 of setup...risk is far better than the reward....that, and me only being 22 (been in cranes since i was 18) guys pull the inexperienced young buck card and try to get me to do stuff i dont wanna do....i never give in but they always seem to try...."oh you can pick it, just another 10ft thats all", heck a foot can make or break a pick/crane.... the guy coulda had the computer set up for more counter weight than he actually had on? when ever i put somethin up, unless its super small and i know for damn sure that it can handle it i always try to keep the load within 5ft at the most to the ground jus incase somethin like this were to happen...i under stand in this instance he had to go over the top of the garage but if it was me, id tell the signal guy as soon as i was past the garage, to have him tell me to line down closer to the ground....
Computer error should never ever bring a crane down. The LMI is just an operator aid. The big failure was the dead short between the seat and the sticks.
im sayin the guy coulda had the computer set for all of his counter weight.....but if he didnt have any counter weight on with the computer set like that, i would definitely think it would be possible it would tip.......who knows if that was the cause, but jus sayin it coulda been....
Seriously!!!I just hte to read comments made by people on youtube!!It makes me feel sick!!
I know what you mean this guy has obviously never been near a crane.
By the looks of how far the rig went over [the carrier is way up there] it looks like he went out of chart for the configuration he had. He would have had a lot of room to boom down if he had moved on back another 10' towards the house when he set up without getting into the one story roof. That still would have left him tail swing clearance to pick it over the front and set it over the rear. Maybe he lied to the LMI, and told it he had more all the c/w's, to save job time, and it just went on over, perhaps with a rear wind gust helping him tip too. Looks like a rookie in a hurry to get more than one minimum in a day to me.