Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How old is too old for HEM

queen of spades ยท 2014-03-19 23:01

I'm looking at options with my life & career. Something's got to give, because my desk job is being automated away and I'm burned out. For the last 6 years I've maintained a moonlighting gig running small equipment up to 20 ton hoes. Others say I'm a decent hoe operator considering I haven't been on them all my life. I enjoy wrenching on my own tractor and motorcycles. I like operating more, but I've about given up on getting an entry level job doing that. Grew up on a small farm and was taught what hard work is. Worked as a mig welder a couple decades ago for a train car company. I am middle aged now, and am wondering how much trouble I'd have finding work as an entry level HEM. I have a basic tool set, with a few 1/2 bits & pieces but not much bigger than 32mm. Plenty of pry bars, pullers, porta-press, multimeter, and so on. Hopefully enough where I could add on as needed. Am I barking up the wrong tree this stage in my life? Have any of you got started in this business in mid life and how'd it go for you? Are employers requiring training schools or just a good attitude and willingness to learn?

Replies3
  1. #1fixou8122014-03-20 04:35

    First review here on this site under Personal Where are the mechinics? I believe you should get started repairing road tractors because with trucks that are newer its mostly routine repairs can you back up a rig w trailer? Trucking companies are begging for mechinics lots of brake jobs easy but real work clutch adjustments tail lights tarps and rollers oil changes grease jobs all routine you're the new guy and will get all the craps work lots of up and down work so you need to be in good shape I would not want to do it again that was years ago try companies with at least thirty to forty tractors get some time on your resume one maybe two years if you can handle that well you might be ready to shift to equipment ps it clucks

  2. #2The Learner2014-03-20 05:36

    im 19 and currently completing heavy mobile plant apprenticeship basically off road diesel mech at tradeschool there are 2 guys in late 30's and 1 in his early 40's so the limit is the amount of dedication that you want to offer and your willingness to learn

  3. #3joispoi2014-03-20 16:31

    When I was in college, I had 2 root canals performed at the school's dental clinic. They were both performed by a resident who was in his late 40's. He did a great job. Today, he's a dentist and gets paid accordingly. As far as HEM goes, why not go to school for it? (If you're middle aged, then you've already figured out that time flies as you get older. A two year program will feel like 2 months of high school). Find an apprenticeship program and see what it would entail. I think the odds of finding a job that YOU want are better if you're certified. BUT, that's not my area of expertise. Bottom line is that I know plenty of people who have made complete career changes in their 40's and have been successful.