Got a 2005 ish W900 CAT C15. Noticed that air blows out of the bottom of the radiator. It sucks in at the top. All looks original and correct. Anybody run into something like this?
Fan fins bent or installed incorrectly?? Have a closer look.
Plastic fan is not bent. It is on the correct way and it is the correct rotation. This is a head scratcher.
Clear path between A/C condenser and CAC and radiator? Are they stacked or sandwiched?
I have the same truck.... when your on dry gravel and that fan kicks in it whips up a heck of a dust storm.
I notice that these new trucks with EGR and whatnot with larger radiators have a very aggressive fan with a smaller drive pulley and they do blow a fair amount fair down on the road stirring up dust. Can't imagine any going backwards through the radiator though. Could it be the straight down air fooling you?
Not straight down. Straight out the front. This is a pre EGR truck. My tier 1 truck does the dust storm thing. Im thinkin I got too much fan into the shroud at the bottom. The air goes straight down, hits the shroud and diverts out the front. The air whips off the ends of the fan blades real hard. If I hang a rag behind the fan it pulls forward.
Angle of the shroud, fan is closer to the top, causes a vortex ( air swirls at the bottom ) that pushes air out the bottom. That's how. It all works out going down the road.
Just dont seem right. Ive never seen a truck push air out the radiator sitting at a fast idle. They normaly try to suck you through the grill.
I agree! Seen damage from cavitation erosion in the cooling system? The explanation of that don't seem right either. Seen them both and have no better answer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.