Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How tight front wheel brg. ’77 6500 drum brake?

uglytruk ยท 2005-07-04 01:02

I just had the front drum off of my '77 GMC 6500 dump, and was wondering what the correct setting was for the nut. I know for cars it's contact then back to the 1st slot for the cotter key. But this bearing was tight! What do you guys think? ointhead

Replies3
  1. #1Steve Frazier2005-07-04 09:14

    Is the new bearing seated properly? What I do is tighten the wheel up real snug while spinning the wheel, then back off 1/4 turn. After that check for play and if it's OK, you're done. Don't forget to check it after the first run to see if the bearing seated any further.

  2. #2uglytruk2005-07-04 23:08

    Old bearing, just took wheel/drum off to check brake/cam adjuster. I was pretty sure that snug then back off was right, but it was tight! . :salute . Happy 4th :usa

  3. #3greg95042005-08-28 22:22

    A little late but here is the info from my 1982 Service Manual: - Front wheel off the ground - tighten adjusting nut to 50 ft lbs while rotating wheel, turn in both directions. - Back off nut 1/6 turn, if slot in nut doesn't align with hole in spindle, continue to back off until it does. Bearing end play 0.001-0.007 inch)