Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How tight? Fuel transfer pumps

Fat Dan ยท 2020-02-13 21:39

How tight/hard are the fuel transfer pump shafts suppose to spin? The one on the 57, 955C, 12A03563 is tight - not a seized tight but more like a tight rubber seal. Could it be dried out seal? Had old fuel inside. My concern is a seal too tight will wear a grove in the shaft. Feels like the old garden hose rubber vain type pump. Are new seals that tight, maybe? Inspected/lubed pump gears, with gears removed shaft still spins tight. Is this a good tight or a bad tight? I've done my fair share of seals in my time. Is this seal tight because it is 1, fuel and 2, under pressure? I went to town to go ask our local cat dealer but the wife had other plans - we went to the other town. Fuel Transfer Pump Group 5F6607

Replies1
  1. #1Fat Dan2020-02-14 21:06

    Went to local Cat Shop the service manager said it is a good tight - "like new". While I was there I grabbed some primer n paint. I realize tight is an ambiguous term which would make any response a little foggy at best. Thanks for looking