Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to

madison1234 · 2018-06-19 15:33

I want decorative concrete in our basement, but my wife refuses to allow anyone to use a grinder in her house. She is afraid of dust and cancer and all that. She says the cats are too sensitive for even fine dust. Is there a proper way to prepare the floor without grinding it first?

Replies9
  1. #1Vetech632018-06-19 16:17
  2. #2Junkyard2018-06-19 16:36

    I’m fairly certain any reputable company will use a dust collection system just like any large carpenter would if they were cutting or sanding inside a house that’s occupied. I know there are some inhalation irritants in concrete dust but you’d have to ingest serious amounts of it before you’d have any notable issues. Some people are more sensitive than others. I’d care to wager that most of the surface prep is done wet or damp anyway. They don’t want to breathe the stuff or spend a ton of time cleaning it up if they can help it.

  3. #3redneckracin2018-06-19 18:09

    Why exactly do you have to grind the concrete first? I thought the decorative stuff was stamped when the concrete was wet?

  4. #4crane operator2018-06-19 19:53

    What? They've used up 8 of their lives already? You could probably chuck a couple grenades in there and the cats would walk out just looking a little dazed. Critters tend to be pretty tough.

  5. #5CM19952018-06-19 21:46

    Stained concrete doesn't require any grinding, you might want to research that option. Although it does involve acid stain that might cause certain felines and humans some sensitivity.

  6. #6Theweldor2018-06-19 21:51

    What is your meaning of decorative?

  7. #7td25c2018-06-19 21:54

    Sounds Like my wife …. Like me & the boy say " We can do whatever we want until Mom get's home " LOL

  8. #8murfdog2018-06-20 07:46

    If you want to stamp an overlay you'll need to shot blast first. As CM said no need to sand for staining, I would make some cute little gas masks for the cats with plastic bags and a zip tie, but that's just me

  9. #9Junkyard2018-06-20 09:09

    Oh no you didn’t!!!!