Ok guys, stupid question, but how would you go about cutting open a spin on hydraulic oil filter? With the metal case I couldn't figure out a real easy way to do it without getting bunch of the metal case into it, which is the reason I am wanting to cut it open in the first place :Banghead
I'd do it with an abrasive chopsaw, near the top (housing end) if there's metal in it, it will likely be in the bottom and all throughout. The chopsaw shoots most of the sparks in a straight line, and likely won't send any much more than an inch , or so, down. Otherwise, you'd have to rig up something, on a lathe or drill press...
Grip it horizontally in a vice and cut round it with a hacksaw about half an inch from the top. Pull out the paper element and with a sharp knife, cut out a section about two inch square away from the end that you just contaminated with filings from the hacksaw. Drape a rag over the vice jaws and squash the sample to squeeze the oil out of it. You can buy a filter cutter if you find yourself doing a lot of them or if you just want a more professional look. Cat part number 175-7456.
I have one of these exhaust pipe cutters....not sure if it is long enough to go around larger filters. But, it cuts real nice. DB
Thats not a stupid question and Id say most mechanics don't even know the right way, I think the filter cutter tool is best, the CAT one. Everything else is messy, don't ever use a air hammer and chisel hahaha.
If you have to hack it, set it on it's end and use a chisel or punch to put a hole in the top of it. Use an aviation snips to spiral out from that hole until the cut is close enough to the edge that you can cut the corner off by cutting around the side and bending the corner out of the way as you go, then the element will come out in one piece.
If you have a large pipe cutter, the type that has 3 wheels (or 1 and 2 rollers) that might also work.
Exhaust pipe cutting tip on an air chisel, the kind that cuts a little strip out. Mike
I just clamp it in the bandsaw vice and let the saw cut through the open end, lol :tong
We use filter cutters. I've seen ones from aviation supply places at reasonable prices but don't know how large they go. I don't know what the Cat price is but I know it's a good one
Cat cutter is around $120 part # 175-7546 If your going to do more than a few its well worth it
Thanks guys!! :thumbsup I don't cut many filters open, but I just got a "new" used machine and serviced it the other day and wanted to cut them open and see what they looked like. I'll it a shot and see what I find.
Drill one hole then use one of these
just saw this, on youtube, never knew it was so easy... https://youtu.be/KFXYN5ZN9S8
I have a cutter from Jegs or Summit. We bought them back in the racing days and they've cut everything I've needed them to so far. There are some hydraulic and trans filters they have a tough time with. That video would work on most until you get a Cat filter with the cast head, I'm not sure there's enough of a seam to get onto with snips. All good ways to accomplish the task I suppose. Junkyard
Was at an auction, today, got a filter cutter, for $27.50. It looks kinda like the one in the link, below, but has 2 cutter wheels, 'steada just the one, and a larger diameter filter capacity. Might be a Cat cutter, there was some other Cat stuff, at this sale... Might try it out, tomorrow, just for kicks... http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8053...TfaownldWtbO_-YPh8C65UbAQAUM-qw2sKBoClSjw_wcB Appears to be a Cat, it looks like this: https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/175-7546 Anybody know how much Cat Charges for it?
That's the one I have in my work truck and in the race trailer. Seems to work well. Hard to say how many filters they've cut open. If it's like that it'll be handy to have. Junkyard
Cut open the oil filter, from my Isuzu NPR, diesel, today. It's the biggest one I have handy, about 5-6" diameter, and it was easy as pie... Man, that tool is slicker than snot on a doorknob! Methinks I'm gonna start cutting open filters, and stringin them together, as redneck wind chimes!
Haha now there's an idea! I've looked at the pile of springs I have from them trying to figure out what I can do with those too. Some of them are pretty darn stout.
Wrap a piece of fishing wire around them, and use them as the clapper, in a big filter, viola, redneck dinner bell!