Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wrap that rascal, equipment stacks open or covered when parked.

fast_st ยท 2017-01-14 08:56

I'm not entirely sure it'd make much of a difference, 644E loader and it sits outside and gets run once a week or so, stock exhaust system is intact. When I had the exhaust system apart, I didn't see any drain holes along the way and its soot sealed nicely. I didn't see any drain holes in the muffler either and it looks factory. Do folks cover the stacks on what I'd call newer equipment, my dozer has a divorced stack so water pretty much can't get into the muffler, maybe if you rammed a garden hose down there. Traveling around I'll see a small percentage of covered stacks on parked equipment. I'd like to shorten the stack just a couple inches for door clearance and maybe add a touch more rake to the tip, the slash is mostly vertical.

Replies7
  1. #1td25c2017-01-14 09:51

    Would cover it with something or install rain cap / turn out . http://www.ruralking.com/speeco-rain-cap-for-tractor-muffler-4-00-rc16911.html http://www.ruralking.com/universal-exhaust-extender-11.html

  2. #2fast_st2017-01-14 11:40

    I have one of those on my backhoe and wood splitter, both with vertical exhausts, the deere puts a sexy 45 degree bend about a foot from the end of the pipe and ends with a slash tip. though, in the very top there is maybe a 1/8 inch hole.

  3. #3td25c2017-01-14 19:10

    Yeah , ok . See what your saying now after looking at a few 644E's . http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...0/wheel-loaders/manufacturer/deere/model/644e Looks like a decent exhaust system , don't think I'd worry to much about covering it when not in use .

  4. #4partsandservice2017-01-15 11:23

    The Deere exhaust are almost immune to rain. In a storm with rain and wind, with loader parked in the " right " direction and the rain blowing in side ways ,it will fill the engine with water. Just went through that on a 648H skidder. That particular engine has glow plugs, so after draining the water off the bottom of the oil, removed glow plugs and blew the water out of the cylinders, replace glow plugs and change oil. Ok @ this time.

  5. #5StanRUS2017-01-15 20:51

    Volvo L160, lost engine (87hr after rebuild)...wind blown rain filled exhaust system that had 45 degree elbow, horizontal muffler! Water mark line half way up turbo elbow...best idea IMO is to cover exhaust stacks if the machine is going to be sitting.

  6. #6td25c2017-01-15 22:48

    At fist glance of the thread thought they were running a strait pipe on the 644E loader .My bad LOL! My dozers all have strait pipes & rest outside when not in use . They get a can over the exhaust to keep rain water out . Make the machine great again buy cutting the pipe off square & install a rain cap if worried about rain fall on a piece of equipment setting outside .

  7. #7fast_st2017-01-25 10:50

    Its not like owning a bigger machine gives you a shortage of 5gal buckets, suppose that's good insurance and easy enough to get to from the walkway.