anyone that runs a business that delivers supplys by tonage/yards stone/mulch etc.? how do you go about delivery charge? per mile? per ton/yard? and if so how much $ per mile (ballpark)? thanks would greatly appreciate your feed back
In our situation, ftb, we decide how much a Km we need for the truck, in your case how much a mile. Just for argument's sake, if you decided you needed $2.00 per mile, if the destination is 10 miles, the round trip is 20 miles = $40.00. If you carry 5 tonnes = $8.00 per tonne. If you carry 10 tonnes = $4.00 per tonne and so on. That is how we work our delivery rates, we have a chart with the kilometres of all of our destinations and how much we need for the trip and then work it out against the amount of tonnes carried on each delivery. We keep our delivery rates up a bit, because quite often you can get mucked around on the other end, where they want it spread, or tipped under the clothes line at the back of the granny flat, it is all time if you are paying a driver. I hope this helps a little. RnR.
Something a little different but I charge 10 cents a board ft to haul logs. And I can haul legal 2150/2200 board feet.
As far as someone giving you a hard and fast price I don't think it can be done. There are some jobs at say $5.00 a mile that you would go broke and others that you would never work because your way to high. First, you should figure how much an hour you want to charge for your truck and then base your price off of your cycle times. Example You Figure $75.00 Per Hour for your Truck One Hour Round Trip: $75.00 Per load. Same trip by the ton 25 ton load $3.00 per ton On some jobs you will need to make adjustments for Traffic and loading/unloading issues Etc on your cycle times. I guess I'm sayin you need to figure on a little "Kentucky Windage" in the Hauling business since at times your not dealing with absolutes. That's just my 2 Cents.