My son and I tore the head off our ole Mack dump truck today. Thought it was going to have a bad valve. Turned out it had melted a piston. Now Im looking for a new piston and sleeve. Its always something.
I worked for a paving company that had a fleet of Macks. Most were the 237 but one they got from down south had the 300 in it. That truck was a beast, but it was broke a lot too. Good luck with the repair.
Bummer, now when something like that happens, can it spilt the chunks into the hot side of your turbo?
What do you reckon caused this? I think one cause could be the cylinder/piston oil spray nozzle came loose or could be out of alignment. Good luck with getting her going again.
Injector Bad Pop test the injector. You mst likely will find it dribbles fuel long before it pops. This causes pre ignition and high temps. It will melt a piston in a second. I have replaced many from this.
I ASSume all went out the exhaust. I have looked at the turbo and it looks fine. I am going to test the injector. I really want to make sure I find the problem before I burn down another piston. Originally it started running bad / skipping/ smoking. I thought the injector went bad becuase when I cracked the line at the pump there was no change in that front cylinder. So I put a new injector in , and it did the same thing. So I did a compression test (which I should have done first) and there was no compression in that cylinder. So i thought it burned a valve. After pulling the head I discovered I had way more fun ahead of me than just changing a valve. Thanks for the advice. doug
hmmmmmmm was this an E6 with an AMBAC(amer. bosch) inj pump? pull that pump off and have it gone thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that happens if the pump or pump timing is off - best to pull remaining pistons as well (especially #3&4) and check along sides(ringlands between rings)on pistons for cracks as well as on top outside edges of pistons...........great eng when it runs well if you havent dealt with these pumps specific DO NOT try this yourself or youll be doing engine over AGAIN. very touchy and very specific with a nice $$$$$ tool for setting pump timing (only used for this system)
well all your exhaust goes through the turbo so all the pieces if any had to go through the turbo also. because they use the exhaust to build the boost to pull more air into the motor. Not trying to be a smart ass here just know how a turbo motor works
bobcat you would be correct..................................... however for some odd reason I've seen this happen on these engines probably 25-30 times and never once had any turbo problems as a result of this damage ............doesnt make any sense but what ever really does I guess
yeah there are some strange things that go on with no real good explanation. i have seen 3 or 4 melt down in the deutz four cylinder that are found in the 863 873 and early s250 and a300. they have dish pistons in them and they look like a dome after they melt down