Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to determine if machine has DEF?

Jkinds · 2024-10-25 20:57

I know the question sounds pretty stupid, so please refrain from "look for a DEF tank fill cap". My father just purchased a 2014 Deere 850K LGP. Through my initial trawling through Deere literature, I thought DEF was introduced in the 2011 model year. But I'll be damned if I can find a DEF tank/fill cap anywhere on this thing. Owners manual has no mention of DEF in it as well. Is there a place/way to verify via PIN? Machine PIN: 1T0850KXVEE257378 if anyone has access/knowledge on this. Much Appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-10-25 21:33

    Im shootimg from the hip here. Is it a ex military model. If it is it will not have it

  2. #2Jkinds2024-10-25 21:37

    It’s styled like a typical Deere construction machine. I have not found any green/black colored paint in hidden spots incase it was repainted. Good callout, never would have even thought of that.

  3. #3JD955SC2024-10-25 21:38

    It’s probably a Tier 4 Interim model. 2014 was about the changeover year to T4 Final. Tier 4 Interim machines tend to lack DEF but still have DPF and EGR. DEF came widespread with Tier 4 Final

  4. #4Jkinds2024-10-25 22:27

    Much appreciated. I’ll do some digging on Deere’s engine part diagrams. See if I can confirm that.

  5. #5mg23612024-10-26 06:50

    The "E" in the serial number below indicates an iT4 engine, no DEF. If the serial number has an "F" in that spot, then it would be FT4 and would have DEF.

  6. #6Jkinds2024-10-26 20:25

    Thank you for explaining that. Is that consistent across all Deere construction equipment?

  7. #7mg23612024-10-27 06:52

    Yes. For machine serial numbers, position 11 (of the 17 digit format): B - Non certified C - Stage II D - Tier 3/Stage IIIA E - iT4/Stage IIIB F - FT4 L - Stage V Engine serial numbers position 7 (of the 13 digit format): B - Non certified C - Tier 1/Stage I G - Tier 2/Stage II L - Tier 3/Stage IIIA R - iT4/Stage IIIB U or V - FT4/Stage V

  8. #8Jkinds2024-11-04 08:18

    Thought I’d circle back and provide info what I found. After more digging on Deere parts diagram, discovered that machine is indeed non-def as mg2361 stated. This machine has what they call “fuel dosing” system on the exhaust system. I had never heard of that before, found it surprising.

  9. #9stinky642024-11-04 09:21

    Volvo D-12 truck engines had similar "7th injector/doser" setup.

  10. #10JD955SC2024-11-04 21:29

    It’s used to raise the temperature for regeneration. Generally the idea is that you should be working the machine hard enough to keep the aftertreatment temps elevated for efficient regeneration but if you can’t do that then an active regeneration using other means to raise aftertreatment temps is used I’ve seen the 7th injector, back pressure valve, and Cat’s ARD system burner head all used to accomplish this. Most issues generally occur when the operator cancels regens or there is a system fault preventing regen.