Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to determine the best oil for your motor!

kshansen ยท 2020-07-14 10:14

I know a thread about oils can cause a lot of debate so I figured I would toss a bit of fuel on the fires. Actually could have posted this in the Joke Of The Day thread as it borders on the humorous. I was looking around for information on my old 1947 Farmall BN and got lucky and found a site that had original owners manual in PDF format as a free download. Skimming through the manual I found a very informative bit of information on the best oil to use in the engine: I like along with all the scientific qualities that the included that last sentence saying that the oil should not eat away the metal parts of the engine. Who would have given that a thought if the factory had not included that specification? I mean I don't think Cat has seen fit to include that detail in their pages long bulletin on oils! Don't they care about our engines being eaten away?

Replies7
  1. #1ajginger2020-08-09 05:41

    Haha....Funny thing is that the old machines from the days of ' non-tech ' oils lasted forever. We had a 1923 yearmodel ' International Harvester ' ( tracked machine ) that ran on kerosine, petrol or diesel ( depending on how hot/cold the weather ). It was still running fine in 2012 at the time we donated it to a restorer so he could restor it to its full glory. Engine/clutch/gearbox were still all original.

  2. #2DMiller2020-08-09 09:29

    The oils specified in the older Allis was Whale Oil derived, try to find compatible for that!! Chrysler as bought out Jeep found that out of their small manual transmissions where they used a Odorous oil that I later found to be "Whale Oil" nothing else was viable to keep from smoking them.

  3. #3kshansen2020-08-09 10:22

    And I bet it's not that easy to find a whale in Missouri to render down for the oil!

  4. #4mitch5042020-08-09 12:34

    Don't y'all have ditch whales in Missouri? I have never seen one, but there are signs all over the roadsides here warning you to carry a stick to defend against them. . . . . .

  5. #5DMiller2020-08-09 12:39

    LOL!!

  6. #6DMiller2020-08-09 12:55

    Type A Automatic Trans Fluid was Whale Oil, Snot Slick

  7. #7John C.2020-08-10 20:14

    Used to get excavators with fish oil in the final drives. Pull that plug and you could clear out an entire shop. A couple of times it had been overheated and the office people at the shop where I was working called the fire department thinking it was a terrorist attack or something.